Asphalt solar collector

Royston

Just found this, I'm amazed it hasn't been considered before...I'm a bit busy ATM, but can anybody see any problems with this idea ?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080812135702.htm

Through asphalt, the researchers are developing a solar collector that could turn roads and parking lots into ubiquitous—and inexpensive–sources of electricity and hot water.

"Asphalt has a lot of advantages as a solar collector,” Mallick says. “For one, blacktop stays hot and could continue to generate energy after the sun goes down, unlike traditional solar-electric cells. In addition, there is already a massive acreage of installed roads and parking lots that could be retrofitted for energy generation, so there is no need to find additional land for solar farms. Roads and lots are typically resurfaced every 10 to 12 years and the retrofit could be built into that cycle. Extracting heat from asphalt could cool it, reducing the urban ‘heat island’ effect. Finally, unlike roof-top solar arrays, which some find unattractive, the solar collectors in roads and parking lots would be invisible.”

"Asphalt has a lot of advantages as a solar collector,” Mallick says. “For one, blacktop stays hot and could continue to generate energy after the sun goes down,

i suspect that any method of extracting energy would quickly nullify this, especially if the generation system operates at any sort of efficiency at all.

i like the idea though. then again, with the state of the roads round here they wouldn't last very long. i nearly broke my suspension on a pothole today.

I agree with your first comment. It seems this idea has already been put into practice in Holland, and at face value, seems to be doing ok. The output needs a boost from a heat pump, which certainly isn't surprising, but from the article below...

The water usually isn't hot enough on its own, and must go through an electricity-powered heat pump for an extra boost, Van Zaane said. The installation cost is about twice as much as normal gas heating, but the energy required is about half of what would otherwise be needed. That translates into lower monthly heating bills and a 50 percent savings in carbon emissions.

http://www.livescience.com/environment/080101-ap-pavement.html

What is surprising is the geographical location.

Edited by swansont
fix url tag