Exotic annihilation products?

The antimatter thread at Astronomy & Cosmology reminded me of something. Specifically, why is the creation of heavy particles like W bosons and such favored over photons in high energy annihilations? Is there some sort of energy limit after which all net energy can't just be "dumped" into photons?

Which annihilations are you talking about? If you go to really high energies, the mass difference between the photon and Z become negligible, so the extra mass of the W/Z doesn't matter and all that will determine the decay is the couplings of the particles.

At low energies, significantly below the W and Z mass you will not produce the W and Z mass much because you just don't have enough energy to make their mass (they have to be very off-shell).

However, if the annihilation happens at around the energy of the W or Z mass, then you have what is called resonant production. In essence you have hit the resonant frequency for creating the W or Z, so you make a lot of them.

Which annihilations are you talking about?

High (GeV range and upwards) energy electron-positron annihilations in general. I had read somewhere that particles like W bosons can be produced instead of photons when the amount of energy increases, I wasn't quite sure about exact figures.

At low energies, significantly below the W and Z mass you will not produce the W and Z mass much because you just don't have enough energy to make their mass (they have to be very off-shell).

Yes, that I had gathered.

However, if the annihilation happens at around the energy of the W or Z mass, then you have what is called resonant production. In essence you have hit the resonant frequency for creating the W or Z, so you make a lot of them.

Hmm I see. But photons can still be created at these energies, it's just very improbable compared to heavy (as in having non-zero proper mass) boson production, right?

Hmm I see. But photons can still be created at these energies, it's just very improbable compared to heavy (as in having non-zero proper mass) boson production, right?

Yes. The probability goes down with the square of the energy. This is because you are moving away from the photon's mass-shell which is at zero (since the photons have zero mass).