Do You Believe There is Intelligent Life Beyond Earth?

What does it do if I add him to the ignore list? I added him, but what does it do.

One more thing, just be quiet "extrasense" I don't see why you have the work "sense" as part of your name, becasue you don't have any. And as a firend, I don't think you should talk to people, you only make peole mad with the stupid stuff you say, sorry.

Anyway...Extraterretrial life?

I dont understand why would alien life (if it exists) necessarily be lesser life forms ?

If you can define lesser ofcourse !

The whole concept of lesser life is ridiculous since you calculate it by a criterium that is something proper to our physiology. For exemple we call a dog a lesser life form because he cant write down math equations or in any case communicate his thoughts on math equations (purpose of life etc...) to us in a comprehensible way (for us again). But if we would have taken as a criterium finding stuff by smell then it would be us the lesser life form.

So well the same thing would account for extraterrestrial life. If we wouldnt understand them, that wouldnt mean they are lesser !

I would say that it is highly probable that there are many life forms out there in many different stages of evolution, since if you look to it, the universe is pretty old (10 mlj years i think no ?), and our solar system is only 5 mlj years old, Earth is approx "habitable" since only 4 mjld years and life is here in the most simple form since approx the same time i guess, but well many setbacks have whiped out the entire population of animals in course of evolution. So the path to our evolution has been set in approx 65 million years ago, and we are here maybe since 100.000 years, which is pretty small compared to the age of the universe. So any lucky planet where life began in the same time as here on earth (but without the disasters) could contain life way more advanced (from whatever perspective)

Since there are so many stars, there are probably many planets like ours (if that is needed for life?) and thus surely some that have known developments of evolution like ours.

I dont believe in the UFO stories though !

Clearly "aliens" would not visit our planet and waste there time making circles in crops or stupid stuff like that. Could you imagine us doing that ?

After years of research or in whatever way, we finally arrive to a planet habited by aliens (with all the technical difficulties of such huge space travels) and then we would stay hanging around, not letting them detect us and make circles in their fields just to amuse us ?

Highly unlikely i would say !

What would be the argument against the existence of extraterrestrail life for those that dont "believe" in it ?

Mandrake

I dont understand why would alien life (if it exists) necessarily be lesser life forms ?

me too

Since there are so many stars, there are probably many planets like ours (if that is needed for life?) and thus surely some that have known developments of evolution like ours.

statistically, it is very, very possible that there is life out there. realistically, we'll probably won't ever find it.

Clearly "aliens" would not visit our planet and waste there time making circles in crops or stupid stuff like that. Could you imagine us doing that ?

After years of research or in whatever way, we finally arrive to a planet habited by aliens (with all the technical difficulties of such huge space travels) and then we would stay hanging around, not letting them detect us and make circles in their fields just to amuse us ?

you're right

What would be the argument against the existence of extraterrestrail life for those that dont "believe" in it ?

oh i dunno, how about anything 'god' related? :P

I'm not sure what mlj means MandrakeRoot, but I think the best known age of the universe is 13.7 billion years (scaled down from 10-15 billion after they got better reading on the background microwave radiation by some new probe). The solar system is probably about 5 billion, and the Earth is something like 4.6 billion they think. But none of it really matters anyway, just values. :)

Umm, whereas I agree that it's strange, we have to remember that aliens might have completely different psychologies and agendas than us. A particular alien might see an immediate meaning in a crop circle, and they assume that we will, but it's just nonsense to us. Doesn't mean they wouldn't though. Although I'd just like to say that I don't believe that UFO's in Earth are real, and also if an alien race is intelligent enough to get here, they'd surely have the sense to do a background check on us and realise that a circle in a field means precisely nothing to us.

The reason I don't believe UFO stories, is because I doubt the aliens that exists out there are so similar to us physically (gray but has two eyes, two hands, mouth, nose, legs and so on, looking just like humans) AND furthermore other than hysterical stories there are ABSOLUTELY no proof that supports this. All those weirdo pictures are either electronically editted or too far to actually see or know if it's a UFO or a military new aircraft.

I won't be surprised to hear that there are alien life forms on earth that we either don't see, or that we didnt think they're aliens (like what I said with the cocroaches) OR that they're in the deep deep ocean for instance.

I doubt they're walking amongst us or flying above our heads with a weird agenda to scare old lonely ladies or crazed old men.

Though it might suggest a very twisted sense of humor... ;)

~moo

Hi,

With mlj i meant milliard = billion. Sorry about the confusion.

Even with a god argument the existence of extraterrestrial life would not be impossible. God could surely have been fed up of seeing us f**k it up each time he gave us confidence, or he just wanted to create another species that hopefully this time would not destroy his creation ?

Or why would god create a universe so big, but really sooooooooooo very big compared to our small nature (on universal scale) and just populate one tiny little planet out there letting the rest a lifeless dessert ?

Even the most inhabitable place on earth has life on it, if you think to it, so why would god not do that also in the universe ?

mooeypoo what do you mean with alien life on earth ?

If somehow bacteria arrived here and evolved into us (or something else), then it would be terrestrial life i would say, since lifeforms actually shape a planet and we would co-life on it since a long time already.

Mandrake

This being the exobiology forum, the over-riding assumption is that life can evolve off Earth.

God arguments are redundant in exobiology. We're looking for life because we already expect it to be there.

I know it's how you say a million million in hebrew. But hebrew is never a good example for world-wide terms :P

And Mandrake, I think I've lost you. I don't really understand what you are saying, can you please explain? Do you believe in life beyond space, or don't you?

mooeypoo what do you mean with alien life on earth ?

If somehow bacteria arrived here and evolved into us (or something else), then it would be terrestrial life i would say, since lifeforms actually shape a planet and we would co-life on it since a long time already.

Uhm, well, I guess that depends on personal definition? I don't know.. I'd say that terrestrial life are life that evolved and created on EARTH, and extra terrestrial life is anything that CAME here.

Changing on earth ? OF COURSE it's changing. It's evolving. Everything's evolving. If you take a fish from one lake to the other it will aventually evolve too, that doesn't mean it was CREATED in that lake, does it?

And I meant that we might have creatures here that we don't know about that might have came fom outer space. I don't mean those gray human-shaped ufo crap, I mean mostly deep-sea creatures, or perhaps even cocroaches (which don't fit to practically anything biological on earth mostly)

it's just a thought, I have nothing to support it only some vague ideas and assumptions. I just threw it as a general thought.

~moo

<picks a daisey>

To answer an idiot.... Not to answer an idiot.... to answer and idiot... not to answer...

oh hell, what does it matter. It just amuses me that I see ES's BSs through the replies he gets 'cause he's on my ignore list (highly recommended, by the way).

Anyone care to continune this debate without letting him destroy yet another good thread?

~moo