Physics for Dummies.

Gareth56

I'm going through the above book but sadly it's riddled with errors and typos. One possible error I'm slightly unsure about is as follows:

1/2(8m/s^2 , 33m/s^2)(1.0sec)^2 = (8m, 33m)

Is this calculation correct? I don't think it is because the 1/2 hasn't been taken into account.

Thanks

Gareth

Yep, as far as I understand it the 1/2 has to be taken into account but hasn't.

As I thought. Yet another another error to be taken into account. Doesn't anyone proof read these books prior to publication! The Dummies Physics Workbook is even worse!!!

I spend a lot of time reviewing and assessing textbooks, and I think the problem is systemic and pervasive, through all publishers. Ironically they're being held more accountable today than ever before, with venues like publisher feedback forums, as well as Amazon reviews having a major impact on sales, and yet accuracy seems to be plummeting to an all-time low. But maybe that's just my impression -- I'd love to see some statistics on it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yeah, the chemistry- based dummies books are scarcely better, with various mistakes. Certainly not in the case of spelling and grammar, but key notes, structural diagrams, the nature of certain chemical reactions, things that in such a book are of the greatest importance, are commonly incorrect.

Chemistry for dummies, which I skimmed through once at Chapters Indigo, I do not really have a serious problem with as due to its nature, it is evidently meant for people who want a basic understanding of chemistry, and nothing more. It lacks detail, oversimplifies, but does so simply due to the nature of its target audience.

On the other hand Biochemistry for Dummies, which my parents, noting a growing interest, bought for me, is absolutely horrible. :mad: It is downright wrong on numerous accounts, and needless to say after trying to muddle through for several weeks I dropped it, and got Biochemistry and Molecular Biology by Elliot, which while not absolutely brilliant in its detail, was certainly adequate, for the purposes intended. It annoys me further because the book claims itself a supplementary text for an introductory college course to biochemistry. To the contrary however, it might be interesting to do a study, and see how many college students that dare to use it (I really pity the poor blokes) shall actually be capable of passing the class. :eyebrow: "Guesses anyone?" :D -(as a percentage of the whole of course)

Edited by Theophrastus
minor modification of content, due to grammatical errors, and ill- concieved paragraphing