Statistical physics

PhDP

The maths used in Statistical physics are remarkably similar to the maths used in my field of study, and I would really like to get a good introduction to statistical physics, any good textbook ?

A classic in the field is Statistical Physics by Lifshitz and Landau.

Part 1 is book 5 in their Course of Theoretical Physics. Part 2 is book 9 in their Course.

It isn't easy, but if you get through the entire book, you will have an excellent working knowledge of statistical physics. And if you like other topics in physics, the entire Course by L&L is highly recommended.

Thank you for the suggestions... but those books are very old, I can't believe nothing better was published since then (I think my oldest textbook was published in 1999).

Thank you for the suggestions... but those books are very old, I can't believe nothing better was published since then (I think my oldest textbook was published in 1999).

Statistical physics, even quantum statistical physics, isn't really a fast moving area in theoretical physics.... I doubt much has changed...

The basics are the same no matter what the year. If you want the latest stuff, you're going to go look in the journals anyway.

This is true on an awful lot of classical physics and math. The basics of fluid mechanics are a true 50 years ago as they are today -- and a 50 year old textbook still does a good job teaching it now if it did then. Obviously, if it was poor then, then it will probably be poor now. But, classical Newtonian physics, calculus, probability, etc. etc.: the fundamentals of these have been known for a long time.

And, since your first post said "I would really like to get a good introduction" anything that is written well is going to perform that duty.

Frankly, I'd personally be looking for older books I could buy out a used book store, because they are going be something like 1/10th the price of a new one, and pretty much all the information is going to be the same.

But, to each their own.