Obama in Portland

PhDP

Apparently, ~75 000 oregonians wanted to see Obama.

Nearly every single time I listen to CNN, they're talking about how Obama is having difficulties with 'whites'. I'm not an expert in U.S demographics, but I would tend to rank Oregon among the states with the smallest African-American population.

...of course Obama is popular among African-Americans, but I think the medias tend to put too much emphasis on this issue.

...of course Obama is popular among African-Americans, but I think the medias tend to put too much emphasis on this issue.

What I've found refreshing is the number of african americans that oppose him. Thinking a little deeper, asking why they should vote for some guy that "hasn't done anything", over a woman who clearly has more experience and seems better suited to the job. The fact he's a "brother" just doesn't cut it. Honestly, I didn't think that would happen. I would have thought he'd carry 99% of the black vote - "representation" codified in the presidency.

So, right or wrong, I'm impressed with the insistance of many black folks to demand a better hand.

Apparently, ~75 000 oregonians wanted to see Obama.

Nearly every single time I listen to CNN, they're talking about how Obama is having difficulties with 'whites'. I'm not an expert in U.S demographics, but I would tend to rank Oregon among the states with the smallest African-American population.

I don't think the difficulty was ever really with whites. It was with "whites" which is media-code for working-class-especially-southern-and-Appalachian-whites. The whiskey-on-a-Saturday-prayin'-on-a-Sunday crowd. Hicks, if you will. Hillbillies, rednecks, good-ol-boys. Lynard Skynard fans. I don't believe the Oregonians fit that demographic block, at least in stereotype. When I think of the Pacific northwest I picture Starbucks, salmon, and domestic terrorists (and I don't think they vote).

Hey, I like Lynyrd Synyrd! :)

I think you have a point there, but it's a poor stereotype on the media's part. The Bubba demographic is no worse than any other, IMO. I grew up around guys like that and some of them got science or engineering degrees from Georgia Tech or UGA. It's just like any other group, with both smart and stupid individuals in it.

I don't think the difficulty was ever really with whites. It was with "whites" which is media-code for working-class-especially-southern-and-Appalachian-whites. The whiskey-on-a-Saturday-prayin'-on-a-Sunday crowd. Hicks, if you will. Hillbillies, rednecks, good-ol-boys. Lynard Skynard fans. I don't believe the Oregonians fit that demographic block, at least in stereotype. When I think of the Pacific northwest I picture Starbucks, salmon, and domestic terrorists (and I don't think they vote).

Away from the coast, Oregon is a lot like what you're depicting.