chemical catalogue

hermanntrude

I keep my Chem stock records in a Book, as well as dates for renewal and safety checking.

Should the unthinkable happen like Earthquake, fire, burglary etc...

I have a hard copy to give to the Emergency services so they`ll know exactly how to deal with it.

I've used chemidex - OK for products with brand names but not nescessarily chemicals. For chems and equipment I've got the Fischer catologue (used to use Aldrich and Lancaster alot). Is there one set up for specifically for schools?

i don't mean a catalogue for buying from, I mean cataloguing my own chemicals. I have approximately 500 of them and need to get them in some order. The main impetus is indeed a hard-copy for the fire department in case of emergency, but we figured since we have to do that we might as well make a functional catalogue too so we know what we have and where.

I've decided to use MS Access, and i've started to learn how to use it.

My trouble now is that I'd ideally like to link to MSDS files somehow through the database, but i'm not sure how. I think paper MSDS's are stupid and people never ever EVER look at the damned things, so they end up as a giant waste of space. However, if, in the catalogue, there was a link to a .pdf file which the students could be required to use before working in the lab, perhaps that'd work better

i don't mean a catalogue for buying from, I mean cataloguing my own chemicals.
:doh: sorry.

My trouble now is that I'd ideally like to link to MSDS files somehow through the database, but i'm not sure how.

Probably not useful for you, but I keep them in word format under a folder entitaled MSDSs - I've just started to do this for the couple of hundered we have, other wise I have them twice in paper form in 2 filing cabinets.

:doh: sorry.

Probably not useful for you, but I keep them in word format under a folder entitaled MSDSs - I've just started to do this for the couple of hundered we have, other wise I have them twice in paper form in 2 filing cabinets.

which database do you get the MSDS from or do you just google them individually?

I'm considering subscribing to something like MSDSOnline and linking to the files in the database, or more likely, i'll download the MSDS from MSDSOnline, then keep them in a folder, AND link them to the database.