How to eliminate aromaticity?

rockymtnblue

Hey folks,

I am trying to devise a method to filter aromas from the air. My general idea is to pump the air, via a fan and air duct, through a water-containing compartment. Now, my problem comes down to what to do from here. The molecule I am attempting to filter is a 3-ring aromatic hydrocarbon. I have been doing a lot of research, however, being only a college freshman, much of the information eludes me.

I have scoured the internet for exactly what properties of the aromatic rings cause the molecule to have a smell, however, I was only able to find information about why we perceive smell (ie olfaction). With that being said, I took a shot in the dark and hypothesized that by breaking down the aromatic ring, the smell would essentially be eliminated. This would be accomplished by introducing a solute into the water that is capable of reacting with the aromatic molecule.

However, I have also thought of some possible problems with this idea, most of which are associated with the fact that aromatic structures are extremely stable. Would the appropriate process of breaking down such a molecule produce energy in safe levels? Would the products be environmentally (specifically household) safe? Etc...

Anyways, if someone could give me some pointers/information/ideas, or at least let me know if I'm on the right track, that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Shayne

Well, obviously we don't know what particular 3 ring compound you mean but if it happened to behave anything like this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thc

then you could trap it on activated charcoal or destroy it with bleach or some other strong oxidant. The percarbonate based "eco friendly" bleaches might oxidise the phenolic part of that structure to a quinone which would certainly alter the smell. Oxidative cleavage of the double bond would lead to chamicals which would, in turn be oxidised to form acids which would be trapped by the alkaline material.

Actually, most compounds that big are not very volatile so they are not the actual cause of the smell.

Of course, if the molecule is something else but similar that might be trapped in the same way. If it's something else entirely perhaps you might be able to tell us more about it so we can help.

Well, obviously we don't know what particular 3 ring compound you mean but if it happened to behave anything like this one...

Aye, you've hit the nail on the head, sir. I just don't like throwing that out there as most people focus directly on the indulgent aspect and neglect to take into consideration aspects of leading a productive life. Anywho, that's a conversation best left for an ethics forum...

I've considered using the activated charcoal in lieu of the closely paralleling concept of carbon air scrubbers. I just wasn't sure how cost/overall efficient it would be. The idea of using an oxidative agent, on the other hand, certainly sounds rather interesting. I guess the next step is to construct the water-based filter and test out both ideas, looking for the most efficient in regards to eliminating smell.

Thanks for the information! If anyone else has anything to add (especially now that things are out on the table), it is again greatly appreciated.