The usage of metaphor.

Jonas

Hey all,

There is an ample amount of metaphor being used in the forum threads, which is not a problem, I think there is a problem when you try to use the title of a theory, say, paired with something that has nothing to do with the original theory in order to get a point across. For example: "...whilst the evolution of history is...." since this is a scientific community, it is ambiguous whether the author is trying to use structure of evolution to describe the events in history or if history itself has genetic code and 'survival of the fittest' is an accurate method to describe how history survives. As you can see this is a simple case and most people can see right through the ambiguity; however, in research this is a no no. I propose we all try not to get into this bad habit now as it doesn't help when trying to write research.

Jonas

There is an ample amount of metaphor being used in the forum threads

Hi Jonas,

I genuinely agree with your tone, but can you give a few examples so we can more clearly understand specifically what caused you to open this thread?