Oxidation How To

avarage

Hello,

this is my first thread in the forum. Can someone please show me a link or reply with the proper method for an oxidation experiment. Tetrahydrofuran is the chem being oxidized with Calcium Hypochlorite as the oxidizing agent, and HCl and Methanol. Thanks so much i've been going crazy over this.

Searching google on [tetrahydrofuran methanol hypochlorite] points me towards the production of hexanitrostilbene (2,2',4,4',6,6'-hexanitrostilbene). This is an explosive used by the military... I don't think I want to be helping anyone to make this at home.

Surely this was no homework question. What's the purpose of the reaction you're investigating? Why are you investigating it?

Even if you don't want to make some high explosive, the oxidized products of THF are unstable (they are peroxides). Why do you want those?

"Searching google on [tetrahydrofuran methanol hypochlorite] points me towards the production of hexanitrostilbene (2,2',4,4',6,6'-hexanitrostilbene). "

That's odd, because it looks to me like someone trying to make GHB- at best a recreational drug. I'm not commenting on the morallity of this, but runaway oxidations of organic compounds are a good way to get dead in a hurry.

If you don't know the chemistry I think you should probably leave it to someone who does, or just leave it.