Thought Amplification idea

YT2095

this either belongs in here or pseusdoscience, having said that, I`ll give it a shot here, if it degrades I`ll shift it.

I had an idea several years while playing guitar, occasionaly is worth going up to the speakers really close with the pickup heads to get a neat feedback sound that would alter with the distance of movement you made closer or further away from the speakes, it could really make some note almost "sing".

I was wondering if a similar setup could be used to amplify brainwave EM emissions, sure they`re only tiny, but you`de only need amplitude modulation to pass the signal :)

Imagine an EM pump in the center of a room and in each corner a pickup coil, whos signal is amplified and fed back to the em pump (just under total negative feedback overdrive), it only needs to resonate a little on the border of total feedback howl.

now sit 2 people in this room, the coils are alighned for brain wave frequencies (VLF band), and one person has an emotion, would the coil trigger just over the "hover line" of total feedback and amplify the signal?

enough for the other person to be effected by it.

I`ve built the EM pump several years ago and have the thermionic valve array, I lack the pickup coils as yet.

does anyone think it`ll work or not, if not why not, and/or, what do you expect to happen?

I know even moving a hand between guitar and speaker made a difference to the mag feild and resonance (same principal as a metal detector).

Input please :)

the action of specific neurons or sets of neurons would create an eletromagnetic field, however it does not follow that copying an electromagnetic field would induce the action of a specific set of neurons. Furthermore, the detected fields would only be the crudest representations of the complex 3D topologies of the real field.

A rough analogy might be to say that we use a lens to project an image of the countryside onto a screen, but copying that image, putting a light behind the image and putting the lens back will not recreate the countryside.

How are emotions and brain wave emissions related, I would guess the emotion is a result of a set of very personal brain functions, and the EMs a result of a bunch of synapitc chemistry. If so how can the recorded waves induce or enhance brain chemistry.

Wouldn't different people require a different set of brain functions to obtain a similar emotion, hense different wave patterns?

May be abit off topic but it amazes me how light and sound waves can be used to convey emotions. At concerts perhaps the fact that there are many people experiencing the same emotion can heighten the experience. I have also known straight people who felt as if they have taken LSD while in the middle of a lysergic party(probably unknowingly swaged from the wrong cup:-).

well for a start I wasn`t thinking that if I thought of an "apple" the other participant would think of the same :)

I ws on about raw emotion, or simple Alpha, Beta, Delta, Gamma Theta brain waves, the sort used in alarm clocks that send you to sleep or wake you up without making a sound, just by pure EM waves that replicate our own.

and thought that maybe one human could trigger this wave and pass it onto another :)

Radical Edward said in post # :

the action of specific neurons or sets of neurons would create an eletromagnetic field, however it does not follow that copying an electromagnetic field would induce the action of a specific set of neurons. Furthermore, the detected fields would only be the crudest representations of the complex 3D topologies of the real field.

A rough analogy might be to say that we use a lens to project an image of the countryside onto a screen, but copying that image, putting a light behind the image and putting the lens back will not recreate the countryside.

Yes it would.  If the image was not too flattenned by the initial photograph (too small an aperature keeping everything in focus), with the proper processing you could recreate the 3D image on the computer by refocusing the unfocused parts of the image and giving them a corrosponding 3D placement based on how unfocused it was.  Though the final result would be sketchy, the 3D plane could still be approximated.  That's how glasses work, but backwards.  Where glasses use only one variable though, we would use many.  Thousands of digital corrective lenses.

With the proper EM projecters we could produce something simmilar to a 3d field, like those brain clot removers that use hundreds of particle guns that converge on the same focal point inside the brain.  The result is a highly accurate radiation point in 3D with relatively little disturbance around it.  Something simmilar could be used to bring this emotion machine to life.

I'll make it, and invite you all over to try it out.  There will be punch and cookies.