Free website service?

Daecon

Can anyone recommend a free website provider that isn't geocities?

I have books on HTML, so I don't need it to be one of those one where you choose from one of five bland generic templates, etc.

I'd also appreciate it if you could mention why you think it's a good provider, as there seem so many to choose from, and I expect many of them to have "catches".

Also, out of curiosity - if the providers let you make websites for free, and they don't include any ads of their own, how do they make money?

Can anyone recommend a free website provider that isn't geocities?

I have books on HTML, so I don't need it to be one of those one where you choose from one of five bland generic templates, etc.

I'd also appreciate it if you could mention why you think it's a good provider, as there seem so many to choose from, and I expect many of them to have "catches".

Also, out of curiosity - if the providers let you make websites for free, and they don't include any ads of their own, how do they make money?

I don't know any *free* hosting service that has no ads at all. There are a few that have small ones, or text ads, or that require you to put a link on the bottom/top yourself so you can control how it looks, but I never heard of any "charity" provider that gives you hosting for free but doesn't expect to earn money in return ;)

btw, googlepages isn't bad as well.

http://pages.google.com/

It doesn't allow ftp upload, but you can edit your HTML files online (copy/paste what you have maybe?)

~moo

• 2 weeks later...