Sci Fi energy solutions...

Royston

Given the logistics and funding as not being an issue, this thread is for sharing ideas (even outlandish) on future methods for providing energy for Earth. You can only use known or emerging technology, and your idea has to agree with physical laws...so no perpetual motion et.c

An example would be...(I haven’t thought it through)

A large superconducting generator outside the Earths atmosphere, (much easier to bring to lower temperatures) and with the transmission of electricity through superconducting wires, which are liquid nitrogen cooled and have a carbon nanotube exterior, that serve as a tower for the generator...similar to the space elevator, but on a larger scale. All power generation is outside the Earths atmosphere, so any emissions would not contribute to GW et.c

I'm sure it's utterly impractical, but it's just an example. As the title suggests, the more imaginative the better, so feasible fiction if you like. :)

If any ideas are posted, other members are allowed to point out errors.

How about just putting a bunch of solar panels in space and beaming the energy back down as microwaves or something? You can have large antennas that pick it up, and then transmit it everywhere else.

Likewise, there is also breeder reactors and fusion power, though I'm not sure when that will become available.

I think space junk is going to become more and more a problem in time as such is already showing. This posses a serious threat to modern astronauts. I was actually quite amazed to learn that not to long ago really computer technology on a space shuttle was not so much about performance at all but really just dependability. I think it was green text only screens and stuff. With that being said this device would consist of a lot of material I would assume, so that alone to me again in the context of space junk is really an issue I think.

I don’t remember the number giving but a speck of paint in space can punch through a lot of material or something like that.

I like using the idea of integrated stuff, such as using say bacteria for a step in an otherwise electromechanical device for such sci fi stuff. Bacteria that can react to toxic waste or even nuclear waste might actually be able to provide some sort of realistic and safe remediation for existing problems and maybe even certain production levels. I know some species of bacteria have made homes in such environments, that alone is enough for me to think its possible.

The real source of all the energy on the Earth is the sun. So how about gravitational lensing to focus more of the sun's energy on the Earth? All you need is a conveniently located black hole sitting between the sun and the Earth, orbitting the sun in step with the Earth. Should be simple really.

Of course, that would give rise to Global Warming, which, as we all know, is a bad thing. Furthermore, it might even fry the earth's atmosphere. So perhaps we don't need more energy after all. We just need to make better use of the energy we've got!!!

Using a black hole to focus solar power seems a little extreme. A better, and actually practical solution is to use mirrors to focus the light. This has been suggested as a way of making Mars warmer, and also the reflected light could stay on at night. Also, putting solar cells in space is a very practical solution that could be done right now but would be better with cheaper, lighter, more efficient solar cells.

How about butt plugs that connect people and their pets to extremely efficient methane powered vehicles or methane fuel cell powered lap top computers?

Charging batteries / cells from your toilet, or perhaps a household waste unit would probably be more practical. You can run a car quite easily on sh*t (lots of), so it's a viable method, although rush hour would be something to avoid.