Why do goldfish turn white when left in the dark?

aommaster

I don`t actualy know the Bio answer to that, but it is known that many creatures that are born, live and die in total darkness are often without pigmentation, even down to tiny insects. perhaps color serves no purpose evolutionary speaking?

and such a fast change with a goldfish, maybe it shares Chamelionic properties?

cool question :)

that`s scarcely a plausible answer, albeit humorous :)

and knowing how short it`s attention span is, it would soon "forget" any fear were that to be the case.

maybe white is used as it`ll reflect what little light there MAY be?

in the absence of light, i wouldn't expect it to want to reflect the light back. It would want to be able to see more won't it? I think it must have something to do with the pigmentation. The pigment maybe decompsees or seomthing with the absence of light. This means that it does not reform after the light is switched back on.

What will the fish be called then? A white fish? :D

I think enough of my silly jokes!

I know in Humans a chemical called Melanin is used to create pigmentation (skin color), I`m not sure if fish have or even require such a facility though?

we`de need to w8 for some of the Bio lads/lasses to have a go at it :)

yeah, it is the bodys way of protecting itself against harmfull UV rays, that`s why in Africa or equatorial regions have the most black people living there and the further north or south you so from the equator the less the color change, Scandanavian types white skin blonde hair is more a polar reason, untill you get to the extremes in a pole then the skin color gets darker as the UV rays are reflected back from snow and having many days of all light (wind also has an effect on tanning too).

I think fish reactions maybe based on something entirely different though :)

atinymonkey said in post # :

3) Ninjas

completely wrong....

1) Goldfish are FISH, and ALL Ninjas are MAMMALS.

2) Ninjas are not appropriate to a scientific experiment because they can flip out at any time. I once saw a ninja flip out and kill a whole room full of scientists, just because one of them was cleaning a petri dish.

Ninjas are the ultimate paradox. On the one hand they don't give a crap, but on the other hand, ninjas are very careful and precise.

When ninjas discovered flipping out, god gave them dominion over everything sweet. They also enjoy wailing on the guitar.

Ninjas don't turn white if left in the dark, but they will probably flip out and kill an entire country.

• 3 weeks later...