Was ice the primordial soup?

This article appears in Discover Magazine http://discovermagazine.com/

I found it really quite interesting and not knowing if it already has a “thread” of it’s own I will post an exert from said ……. and await opinions from the more learned on the subject than myself.

Did Life Evolve in Ice? 02.01.2008

Funky properties of frozen water may have made life possible.

Exerted from ….. http://discovermagazine.com/2008/feb/did-life-evolve-in-ice

All these processes would occur in microscopic pockets of liquid within the ice. “You have billions and billions of different possibilities,” Trinks says, “because you have billions of these small channels,” each like a microscopic test tube containing a unique RNA experiment. On the young Earth, pockets of liquid could have expanded into a network of channels that mixed their contents during freeze-thaw cycles, like day-night temperature changes in summer. In winter, the liquid pores would have contracted and become isolated again, returning to their separate experiments. With all the mixing, something special might eventually have formed: an RNA molecule that made rough copies of itself. And as Earth warmed, these molecules might have found a home in newly thawed seas or ponds, where something even more complex might have emerged—such as a cell-like membrane. “You have something that is multiplying itself, and you have variation that is inherited,” says Antonio Lazcano, a biology researcher and professor at the National Autonomous University of Mexico, in Mexico City?. “There you have the onset of Darwinian evolution. I’m willing to call that living.”

• 1 month later...

It's an interesting twist on the RNA World hypothesis. Of course, it begs the question on how do you get RNA to begin with? Abiogenetic chemistry won't give you RNA. You need a simpler nucleic acid.

L Orgel, A simpler nucleic acid. Science 290: 1306-1307, Nov 17, 2000. 222/sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/290/5495/1306

I was intrigued enough to look into first the many and strange forms that ice can form at different temperatures and pressures. Then I read the article completely. In it (from about halfway through) there is evidence as to how RNA could evolve from cyanide in micro-environments within the ice.

The whole thing is fascinating, even if only for an insight into how instant "wham-bang-thank you-mam" science can miss replicating the slow processes that nature often uses to go about its business quietly. Shame that so many samples of experiments in progress were destroyed by short sighted scientific vandalism.

This article appears in Discover Magazine http://discovermagazine.com/

I found it really quite interesting and not knowing if it already has a “thread” of it’s own I will post an exert from said ……. and await opinions from the more learned on the subject than myself.

Primordial stems from poetic efforts in the 80's. It's an indication towards emulsion. The fact so many wanted what was said to be 'spontaneous generation'. As, so many questions where yielded from answers. It's inappropriate.

The Omega-Comet, as it is called, is a result of studies upon Hale-Bopp: In particular segment 9-of rotation 85 or so degrees from tale-plane.

The theory goes, what is in hand is attainable, obtainable, and re-saleable.

That life was an organic soup, lends to the rendition of Fire+Brimstone, for the observance of such findings as these. Unknown++Little knowing==Grandiosity.

abateNth, if you are attempting to sound profound, you're not. Your post is not only off topic, but also rather meaningless.

I just based my post on what I was exposed to on series on T.V.,

and the given second accepted definition:

2. Embryology. first formed.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/primordial

These are terms I've heard applied, and they have that meaning for me. The theory is oft based on life originating here from a comet infested with organic molecules. Striking the planet at a critical time, and begining a stratum of assembly for higher life forms.

I do not agree, but do know of the theory. It was a brief synopsis of the approximately 20 or so hours of documentary I have seen versed.

Neither off topic, nor winding. I apologize if you didn't understand, but for some this is a study they pursue for the course of their lives, and to fully explain you'd have to be exposed to a large data pool, and I didn't feel the need.