Garlic as a preservative observation

YT2095

I`ve been making Garlic Butter for years, it consists of a kilo of butter, 200 grams of sharp(mature) cheese, 20 grams of raw garlic cloves, 2 T spoons of marjoram and 2 T spoons of English mustard, with a medium sized grated onion (all measures are roughly accurate).

now for some reason, this butter lasts for MONTHS! and only seems to improve over time, I`ve never had a batch go bad!

4 months was the longest I know to it being kept before being eaten and that was 100% ok too (normaly because it tastes so nice it never lasts more than a few days!).

now any single one of these ingredients would go bad after the 4 months, with the exception of the dried marjoram.

I personaly think it`s something to do with the oils in the Garlic acting as some sort of preservative, maybe it`s the combination making a catalyst that acts that way? I don`t know? and so I invite your ideas :)

I neglected to mention also, that all the ingredients go into a food blender and is mixed until the butter becomes alnost white and fluffy like a cream and halves again in size, so maybe the air in it plays a part? but I would have thought that if anything would have had a detrimental effect on shelf life, as it`s only done to make it spreadable directly from the fridge.

Lance, yeah, give it a try, it`s got a multitude of aplications from grilled cheese on toast to baked potatoes.

and it really (for some reason) seems to last for ages!?

Hmmm... you saying that, just reminded me of hearing something similar myself, and so the Onion (of the same family Alium) possibly has similar properties then?

and I`ve never seen a jar of english mustard even having been half used ever go off no matter how long it`s been sat in the cupboard!

the lactic acid in cheese may help, but then cheese can go moldy quite easily although it`s perfectly harmless if not a little unsightly.

putting air into would accelerate the decay proccess as would the cheese, but maybe there`s enough of the other ingredients to tip the ballance and swing the decay towards a longer shelf life!?

I dunno, it SOUNDS logical, but maybe entire BS???

your thoughts...