Roaches

AtheistLena

Can they really live 10 days with there head off? That just sounds crazy. I would look it up on google but I can't trust it. I want a reliable source.

certainly

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=5244F57C-E7F2-99DF-3E40BA295C3DCC0A&sc=I100322

the head must be removed surgically (sterile sharp knive)

the decap roach can still stand, move, respond to touch just using local nerve ganglia

two weeks has been observed

it helps the roach stay alive if the neck is coated with a thin layer of wax to prevent the tissues from drying out.

the basic reason the roach stays alive when decapitated is that breathing is not controled by the brain. he breathes through many tubes in the side. also he doesn't have a highpressure blood system so he doesnt immediately bleed to death like your body would if missing the head.

and he can go a couple of weeks on one meal----roaches are energy-efficient

if one of us was decapitated their body would stop breathing (so suffocate)

and bleed to death

and even if the bleeding could be stopped and artificial respiration kept them breathing they would starve

and probably all sorts of other bad things

but all that stuff does not affect the happy cockroach, his body goes right on living and doing regular cockroach things

dear Atheist Lena, WELCOME to SFN! I hope you enjoy your visits here and pass your time in happy informative conversation.

bestwishes, Martin