Neurodiversity

Reaper

What do you guys make of neurodiversity -->

http://neurodiversity.com/main.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurodiversity

The wiki site gives a general discussion of it. Basically, in a nutshell, it is the notion that just as you can find slight physical differences in other people (e.g. different sizes, shapes, etc.), people are also born with differences in brain structure and the personality types inherent in them. Typically, most people who are mildly autistic, or have some related "disorders", usually embrace this idea. The general idea is that many people who are diagnosed with this and other problems are so because of societal problems than any genuine brain disorder. There has been many cases in history when psychiatry and psychology has been abused in order to suppress and make people conform to societal norms (e.g. Hysteria, Homosexuality, etc.), so the idea isn't that quite far fetched.

======================

While I do see this applicable for some people (myself included), there are other claims I don't necessarily agree with (e.g. high functioning autism can still be quite problematic if not handled properly). But I do agree with the fact that people who are, or are classified as having some sort of disorder tend to be discriminated against in all levels of society. I've for example have run into a fair share of people who genuinely believed that all autistics are "retards", or "crippled". Not just autistics, but people who have, say, dyslexia, ADHD, etc; People who could function normally given patience (sometimes a great deal is necessary, I know from personal experience) or some minor interventions. And never mind what I thought of those who are supporters of the MMR conspiracy....

What's your take on it?

What do you guys make of neurodiversity

I'm not too familiar with it, but it sounds like a very interesting field of research. :)

But I do agree with the fact that people who are classified as having some sort of disorder tend to be discriminated against in all levels of society. I've for example have run into a fair share of people who genuinely believed that all autistics are "retards", or "crippled". Not just autistics, but people who have, say, dyslexia, ADHD, etc; People who could function normally given patience (sometimes a great deal is necessary, I know from personal experience) or some minor interventions. And never mind what I thought of those who are supporters of the MMR conspiracy....

What's your take on it?

I've heard one idea for discriminatory behavior such as that you describe above which has always stuck with me. I'll try to summarize it here.

We have evolved a sense to avoid contagion, whereby we unconsciously avoid things we find as unhealthy or distasteful. Although this has aided in the survival of our ancestry by preventing us from nearing "sickness" or "illness," it is now bleeding over into other areas of our social existence... this avoidance behavior and avoidance mentality... and is causing us to interpret non-contagious traits like autism or ADD, as well as some social hardships such as homelessness/poverty/unemployment, as unhealthy or distasteful... so we actively avoid others who are experiencing such hardships just as we would the flu (because we don't want to "catch" it ourselves).

I agree that people most certainly have genetically determined variation in brain structure that influences things like personality, intelligence, etc. However, going as far as to say that people with, say, autistic spectrum disorders, are actually normal, is a pretty big stretch.

They may be "normal" in the sense that mutations and outliers of various kinds will always be found in animal populations. However, they are significantly different from the average range of variation that is found in the majority of the population. They also definitely possess maladaptive traits compared to most humans - the lack of social ability, in particular. Human society is complex and a certain degree of social ability is necessary in order to function well within it. And most autistic spectrum disorder people cannot do that.

Now, whether or not it is right or wrong for an autistic person to remain autistic (should a "cure" ever be found, for example) is entirely a personal value judgment. it's always important to accept who you are, but it's also understandable that you would want to be able to interact well with the rest of the world.