What field of study?

.:azurite:.

Well it's almost the 2nd semester of my Junior year of High School and I have to start looking for potential colleges/universities that I want to apply to.

I have alot of choices for my major: Biology, Biotechnoloy, Ecology/Evolutionary Biology, Genetics.

and minor: Graphic Design, Photography, Web Design and Computer Tech.

What would be a good major for this? Basically I want to be one of those people that work in Labs wearing those nice lab coats and work with DNA/micropipets and mass spectrometers. And genetics has always facinated me. I also want to be able to do design jobs on the side for a little extra money.

I'm leaning towards Biology for my major and Photography/Web Design/Computer Technician as a minor.

The problem is finding a good university that offers both these programs.

So to all those Biologist-related, Computer Tech.-related people and Photographers, do you have any advice for me?

This is somewhat off topic but would a Bachelors Degree in Photography count being a Professional Photographer?

Sounds like you need to go to a relatively large college that offers a wide variety of programs. That's what I needed, too, when I went to undergrad, as I was quite unsure of which of my multiple interests I would ultimately follow.

I went to the University of Michigan, which I can say for sure has a very good bio program, with a lot of research opportunities - I worked in two evolutionary genetics labs there. I would highly recommend you get actual research experience as early as you can, as that will help you decide if you'll truly enjoy doing that kind of work for your career. It was instrumental for me when it came to choosing my career. Also, the benefit of working in research labs is that they are often very flexible, so it would give you a little more freedom to do something additional on the side.

My boyfriend, who works for Microsoft and also went to U of M, can say for sure that they also have a very good computer sciences program. They also have an art school, and I'm pretty sure you can dual enroll / dual major in both the art school and the lit&sci school (where the bio and comp sci are). But I notice that you are a Cali kid, and winters in Michigan can be quite harsh. So keep that in mind. But it is a great school.

Usually you aren't called a professional in anything until you get paid to do it. That's what it really means. A BA (Bachelor of Arts) in photography may help you become a professional but it most certainly doesn't mean you already are one.

Sounds like you need to go to a relatively large college that offers a wide variety of programs.

But I notice that you are a Cali kid, and winters in Michigan can be quite harsh. So keep that in mind. But it is a great school.

Usually you aren't called a professional in anything until you get paid to do it. That's what it really means. A BA (Bachelor of Arts) in photography may help you become a professional but it most certainly doesn't mean you already are one.

-The trouble is finding a large college that offers those programs. I've been told that University of California Berkeley is a good school for biology related research work but I'm not so sure they have a program for Arts.

-I've been used to hot weather ever since I was little and I like being outdoors/taking pictures in forest so I don't think cold harsh weather is for me. Hehe.

-Thanks for clearing up the whole professional thing. I understand now.

-The trouble is finding a large college that offers those programs. I've been told that University of California Berkeley is a good school for biology related research work but I'm not so sure they have a program for Arts.

Another option is going to a large college with good bio and comp programs that is physically near by to an art college - then you could potentially dual enroll in the two colleges. Some universities even offer collaborative programs in that situation.

-I've been used to hot weather ever since I was little and I like being outdoors/taking pictures in forest so I don't think cold harsh weather is for me. Hehe.

Haha. I can't blame you. However, I would still recommend you at least visit the place and get a feel for it. The programs really are quite good and do have the combinations you're looking for. Plus, in the spring and summer, it's gorgeous. Lots and lots of outdoorsy things to do.

One thing I've learned since graduation (although, I'm returning to school after nearly a decade in two weeks to begin my second degree concurrent with my FT job) is that it's not so much the school that matters, but the professors with whom you study.

Do you have the ability to visit various campuses and speak with the different instructors? That can go a LONG way toward answering the questions you have. Good luck, and enjoy. :)

If you make yourself a perpetual student of life and the universe, you really can't lose.

Another option is going to a large college with good bio and comp programs that is physically near by to an art college - then you could potentially dual enroll in the two colleges. Some universities even offer collaborative programs in that situation.

Oh thats nice. I didn't know. I know that there's an Art Academy in San Francisco which is not that far away from UC Berkeley, I could ask my counselors about that. Thanks.

One thing I've learned since graduation is that it's not so much the school that matters, but the professors with whom you study.

Do you have the ability to visit various campuses and speak with the different instructors? That can go a LONG way toward answering the questions you have. Good luck, and enjoy. :)

If you make yourself a perpetual student of life and the universe, you really can't lose.

I agree 100% with you on that one. I think the fact that I had the teacher I did for Bio made me love that subject even more.

I don't know if the universities I'm interested in(UC Berkeley/Davis/San Francisco, Standford, Humbolt) allow that but I'll try to keep that in mind and find out.

Hehe I learn new things about life every day that passes by.

You have plenty of time to decide. Your first two years of college are going to be basic studies. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to figure it out before then. But don't rush yourself into a major, because you could choose the wrong one by forcing yourself to decide so quickly. I know what you mean about working in a lab with a white coat and all - I have a dream of having my own lab where I play with bugs and stuff :D