Assassination of former Pakistani PM Benazir Bhutto

Physia

He's got all of this trust built with the U.S. I just don't see him stooping to that level.

I'd like to call it support rather than trust.

Plus, I agree with you that Musharraf might not of done it for that reason, but again you have to keep in mind that he'll do anything to keep himself in power - that is how such leaders always were. Bhutto's supports were vastly increasing.

I thought that we GAVE him 10 billion dollars to keep working with us. Kind of weird that we tried so hard to get Bhutto to come back in the first place. As far as I can tell, she didn't really want to. I think the expected outcome was more of a unified populace. Just a big chance for some terrorists to BLOW THINGS UP!

This is a story about sacrificing your life under the guise that U.S. foreign policy will pan out.

This just in. Scotland Yard to assist with investigation.

http://www.pak.gov.pk/infocusDetail.aspx

I'd like to call it support rather than trust.

Plus, I agree with you that Musharraf might not of done it for that reason, but again you have to keep in mind that he'll do anything to keep himself in power - that is how such leaders always were. Bhutto's supports were vastly increasing.

Bhutto and Musharraf were not to be running directly against each other, right? Why else would the U.S. try so hard to get a cross-party coalition going on between the President and the Prime Minister? This sounds more like another stupid mess than anything.

The major leader for his major opposition party is gone. Perhaps he was hoping for the party crumble in their search for a successor. Especially considering the charges of corruption against Bhutto's husband, people might not be happy with him in charge.

But if that was all there was to it then he didn't have to let her back into the country. Killing her is clearly far worse than ignoring US requests to let her back in. And he knew for a fact that he couldn't get away with it because several attempts were made and he was blamed for those events as well.

Not saying you're wrong, it just seems unlikely to me.