Easy way to make hydrochloric acid

dom3mo

ok, lets give the young guy a chance here, we don`t have to bash him for not knowing stuff on the condition that he LEARNS some chemistry whilst here.

and if he learns some good chem, then I`m happy with that.

I think we can all afford to give him a Chance.

HCl is a Gas, but it dissolves well in water to make Hydrochloric acid.

although anything above 35% HCl in water will have storage problems, as it will want to come out as a Gas again when it`s in a warm room.

Ok i have two flasks both sealed and contected with plastic tubing, one under the burner that holds the HS204 and a little bit of salt, another that holds water both are humdfying and I think its working. How much salt are you supposed to use i only used a little bit.

Is there any tests i can do with HCl than lithmus?

Don't use plastic! It has to be glass!

The equation is H2SO4 + 2NaCl --> 2HCl + Na2SO4. One mole of H2SO4 is 98 grams. Two moles of NaCl is 117 grams. So, mix 98g of H2SO4 with 117g of salt.

HCl will react with iron or zinc to give hydrogen. Take your sample and add iron filings. If you see bubbles, see if they burn. If they burn, they are hydrogen bubbles. If they are hydrogen bubbles, you made HCl.