Sound In Strings

SimonInSimon

I sincerely Hope so, else my Guitar it Magic! :D

Ah, that's actually somewhat different. Sound with the tin cans is passing through the string (i.e. longitudinally) and couples to the tin can at the far end, while with the guitar it is a transverse oscillation that couples to the air.

But if you play like Clapton or Knopfler, it is magic.

in an Acoustic the string vibration is passed onto the Bridge and then the hollow cavity acts as a Speaker cone.

the effect is like the 2 tin cans pulled tight and someone listening at each end, then you pluck the string in the middle.

or do you mean the string is Push/Pulling along it`s Length?

in that case it would be like scraping down the low E string with your fingernail (a Lovely sound).

in an Acoustic the string vibration is passed onto the Bridge and then the hollow cavity acts as a Speaker cone.

the effect is like the 2 tin cans pulled tight and someone listening at each end, then you pluck the string in the middle.

or do you mean the string is Push/Pulling along it`s Length?

in that case it would be like scraping down the low E string with your fingernail (a Lovely sound).

Along its length.

If you plucked the strings you'd get some sound in the cans. Normally the ends of a string in guitar are fixed, so you get a standing wave in the string (and there's a whole bunch of physics in the different ways you can get sound: strummed, plucked, struck, etc. — you get different waveforms) with the bridge vibrating perpendicular (more or less) to the sound board. With the speaking into the can, then end of the can acts like a diaphragm, and sends the compression wave along the string, which is picked up by the other can. If you were to pluck the string between the cans, the ends wouldn't be strictly fixed, which should change the sound somewhat, and you might get an interesting effect, because the resonance of the cans would give you a sound that could be different than the normal sound of a similar guitar string.

does sound really pass through strings? my best example for this is the "telephone cans" which is made up of a string and 2 tin cans. children use it as a telephone, the cans act as their mic and speakers while the string connects the two cans.

Look up what sound is on wikipedia. This will explain what is really happening with this string thing.