Why do things look smaller when they are further away?

Duke

This has been bugging me for a while now, but does anyone know why things look smaller when they are further away? I asked this about a year ago but I wasn't satisfied with the answers I was getting.

Someone told me it has something to do with lenses. but I dont know whether thats true or not.

Does anyone have a decent scientific reason as to why this occurs?

Thats due to rectilinear propagation of light.

Basically, the light spreads from an object in all diretions (grade 2) When you are close, your eyes capture more light, and therefore view more surface area of the object. When further away, your eyes capture less light rays from that object, and therefore the visual surface area is reduced.

probably not, but I understood it, and as for lighter / darker, you ARE joking right!?!?

you`ll basicly see less reflected photons of that specific object as they scatter over distance and their angle of incidence will be less making the object apear smaller is all it is. nothing fancy :)

YT2095 said in post # :

probably not, but I understood it, and as for lighter / darker, you ARE joking right!?!?

No, I'm not joking.

ONE QUARTER RULE. VERY BASIC PHYSICS.

you`ll basicly see less reflected photons of that specific object as they scatter over distance and their angle of incidence will be less making the object apear smaller is all it is. nothing fancy :)

MrL already gave that answer in the first reply. Only with diagrams and flashing lights.

tell me what`s wrong with Atlantics post in the way that it will make things "darker" then?

he even kicked of his sentnces with "Thats due to rectilinear propagation of light.

Basically, the light spreads from an object in all diretions "

and he`s bang on the nail :)

YT2095 said in post # :

and you say I make thiny veiled insults!!! you utter pr!(|< !!!!

Seeing as all the information required to understand my post was in my post, I'd put it more in the "actual questions" category.

I don't think responding to what you perceive as a "thinly veiled insult" with an actual insult is the way to go really.

Originally posted by YT2095

tell me what`s wrong with Atlantics post in the way that it will make things "darker" then?

he even kicked of his sentnces with "Thats due to rectilinear propagation of light.

Basically, the light spreads from an object in all diretions "

and he`s bang on the nail :)

LOL thanks YT