Question about BH, Matter & Anti-

Mrednaxe

Hello everyone :)

I am reading a bit about Sumatomic particles and yesterday a thought struck me.

What happens inside a black hole? As far as I know there's a lot of matter and antimatter in there. With all matter centered at the singularity the chances that, for an example, an proton and an antiproton collides would seem quite high, converting into energy. Take that scenario and replace it with a large number of particles.

What do you think about this question that struck me?

What goes on in there?

Thanks for all the replies.

What happens inside a black hole?

that is a good question. I think it is an important question and one that people are gradually whittling away at.

I saw a recent paper about this by Kevin Vandersloot (at Portsmouth UK)

and by Dah Wei Chiou (at Penn State US)

Earlier this year there was a 3 week workshop at UC Santa Barbara with about 25 major people from all over. The talks are still online as video you can download.

The basic question they were working on could be rephrased like this: "We know that singularities don't exist, they only occur as error messages in classical theory whenever and where the theory breaks. So what should singularities be REPLACED with? What actually happens inside a blackhole when the outmoded classic theory says there is a singularity?"

And same thing about the big bang singularity. What really happens?

http://online.kitp.ucsb.edu/online/singular_m07/

Another way to rephrase is to say the focus of the workshop was on RESOLVING SINGULARITIES. Basically "resolving" a singularity means to replace the outmoded classic model with a better (probably quantum) model which doesnt break down.

The idea the singularity gets replaced by something else, using a new model. And then the new model has to be checked by comparison with observational data----you can't see into a black hole but you can do other things like record the radiation they make while forming (GRB astronomy) and you can compare what the new model says about things you CAN observe.

It is a hard challenging problem, and one that people are working on.

To respond to your question, I would say that people DON'T KNOW YET what goes on in the pit of a black hole (where standard relativity breaks down and sends an "error message")

One can be pretty sure that everything that passes thru the event horizon proceeds on to the center (where standard gravity theory breaks). So it all hinges on what conditions are at the center. But one doesn't yet know what space is like at the center.

If you don't know what space is like, you don't know what physics happens.

So people like Kevin Vandersloot are working on what space is like at the point where a quantum theory of spacetime is used to resolve the singularity. which means they can't answer your question yet because they are just whittling away at it.

As far as I know there's a lot of matter and antimatter in there.

I don't think that there is a lot of antimater in blackhole.

No antimater have been detected in space.

If some antimater goes to a blackhole good chance are that they enconter matter before passing the event horizon.