Something Summation

ZuluWarrior

The attached image does not show an equation.

btw, the LaTeX code for your image would be [math]\sum_{i=0}^n A_i (1+x)^{-i} [/math]. You might want to use and modify that (quote my post to see the source code) rather than painting a new picture.

The attached image does not show an equation.

btw, the LaTeX code for your image would be [math]\sum_{i=0}^n A_i (1+x)^{-i} [/math]. You might want to use and modify that (quote my post to see the source code) rather than painting a new picture.

Thanks for the advice :cool:

[math]

\sum_{i=0}^n A_i (1+x)^{-i} = 0

[/math]

I forgot the = 0. Is there a way I can solve that one?

Generally I don't think there is an analytical solution but it also depends on what you want to solve for:

Solving for the [math]A_i[/math]:

The trivial solution of course is [math]A_i = 0[/math] for all i. For arbitrary (meaning non-fixed) x ([math]x \neq -1[/math], of course), this should also be the only solution. For a fixed [math]x \neq -1[/math], you can cast the equation into the form [math]\sum_{i=0}^n A_i(1+x)^{n-i} = 0[/math] (by multiplying with (1+x)^n on both sides). Finding solutions for the [math]A_i[/math] should be possible in general (but involve some tedious combinatorics).

Solving for x when the [math]A_i[/math] are known:

This is equivalent to solving for y := x+1. Using the polynomial form from above, [math] \sum_{i=0}^n A_i y^{n-i} = 0 [/math], you clearly have a polynomial in the unknown y. For certain degrees of this polynomial, analytical solutions do exist. Above some degree (>3 or >4, I don't remember at the moment), no analytical way to a solution exists.

Generally I don't think there is an analytical solution but it also depends on what you want to solve for:

Solving for the [math]A_i[/math]:

The trivial solution of course is [math]A_i = 0[/math] for all i. For arbitrary (meaning non-fixed) x ([math]x \neq -1[/math], of course), this should also be the only solution. For a fixed [math]x \neq -1[/math], you can cast the equation into the form [math]\sum_{i=0}^n A_i(1+x)^{n-i} = 0[/math] (by multiplying with (1+x)^n on both sides). Finding solutions for the [math]A_i[/math] should be possible in general (but involve some tedious combinatorics).

Solving for x when the [math]A_i[/math] are known:

This is equivalent to solving for y := x+1. Using the polynomial form from above, [math] \sum_{i=0}^n A_i y^{n-i} = 0 [/math], you clearly have a polynomial in the unknown y. For certain degrees of this polynomial, analytical solutions do exist. Above some degree (>3 or >4, I don't remember at the moment), no analytical way to a solution exists.

Yep... so... if n=10 and I know all my [math]A_i[/math], it's going to be a pain in the bum to find x, you're saying?

Yep... so... if n=10 and I know all my [math]A_i[/math], it's going to be a pain in the bum to find x, you're saying?

That an exact mathematical solution cannot, in general, be found. It can be solved computationally, with a computer.

For certain degrees of this polynomial, analytical solutions do exist. Above some degree (>3 or >4, I don't remember at the moment), no analytical way to a solution exists.

You cannot find the roots of a general polynomial of degree [math] \geq 5 [/math] if you limit yourself to addition, multiplication and taking square roots Atheist. I guess that is what you meant by analytical, as there are other analytical solutions if you allow other operations and functions, like the elliptic functions for the quintic case.