Phosphorus extraction. (completed) :)

YT2095

I`ve been working on a way to obtain elemental Phosphorus. naturaly I`ll convert it to Red P4 rather than store it as White P4.

so far the best way I can come up with is the conversion of Phosphoric acid with Carbon and distilling it.

the starting chems I have, are many, Ammonium phosphate, calcium hydrogen phosphate as my 2 sources.

does anyone know an easier method from the above?

all the other chems that may be required I should have, so don`t worry about having to think of complicated ways, complex is good too, so long as it works :)

maybe an electrolytic way? or a way that doesn`t require distilation?

Ideas please :)

YIPEE! I`ve done it :)))))

I`ve just managed to exrtact elemental Phosphorus :)

Step one: mix ammonium sulphate with Calcium Hydrogen Phosphate soln (both available at a gardening center).

a precipitate of calcium sulphate will form, filter it out and colect the liquid, allow the liquid to crystalise by evaporation.

step 2: heat the crystals until they melt, ammonia gas will be given off, continue heating until the ammonia smell has gone. allow to cool and disolve the remainder in a little water, filter it of any impurities. you now have Phosphoric acid. evaporate most of the water off by gentle heating, it will become syrupy.

step 3: add 25% of it mass with carbon (lumpwood chacoal powdered will do). mix well and allow to got as dry as possible.

step 4: put a little of this mix in a heatproof test tube and heat it over a bunsen burner (in a dark room is best). you will see Phosphorus begin to distill up the tube and maybe catch fire with a green glow when it hits the air :)

avoid the fumes as they stink and are harmfull, it smells a bit like garlic.

YT2095 goes off to do his Happy Dance around the Lab :)

no idea at all really, probaly just convert it to Red Phosphorus and keep it with my other chems that I`ve made and have no real use for :)

but I may eventualy see an interesting experiment that requires P4 and I`ll know I have some to try it with :)

the challenge and the journey are the exciting bits for me really, the end result is just a bonus :)

when I`ve scaled this up and made a few grams, I`ll move on to something else, as always :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ignore the above!!!

it`s way to dangerous! although I did manage to get a measly 100mg of Red Phosphourus that was all I could salvage as the white caught fire :((((

I just hope the gasses don`t make me ill, gloves(nitrile) and goggles, but no respirator/fume cuboard, it stinks like holy hell in here now, windows open and all the plumes of white smoke have gone now. I seriously don`t reccomend anyone try this!

Sayo I have the pics all leading up to this event, just not on my website yet as I wanted the complete set, you`ll forgive me for not taking pics during the fire I hope!

again, unless you have some serious heavy duty Lab kit, do not even THINK about making Phosphourus!

[edit] on a brighter note though, I did make alot of phosphoric acid and still have quite a bit left, I`ll look into making fuel cells next :)

I try not to think about it! :)

mess no, not really, just the white smoke and stink, I managed to cap the tube while it was on fire, it sucked the cork in a bit and shattered over the water bowl, then I was safe(ish).

I lost most of it though, as I said, I got about 100mg of red phos for my efforts. hardly seems worth it in all honesty! :(

and before anyone starts thinking I`m SFNs Resident Mad Scientist, no I`m not!

I`m actualy a very good scientist, I just like to "push the envelope" sometimes, and explore possibilities, afterall, isn`t that what Science is all about?

aommaster said in post # :

I just can't imagine how long it has taken for u to get to the stage you are at!

stage I am at? I don`t quite understand you (sorry). do you mean with the Red Phos synth?