No Book on the birth of the US Constitution?

ParanoiA

Ok, I don't mind saying I'm just freaking frustrated as hell here. I don't understand why I can't seem to find a book on the story of our constitution. Seems real damn simple to me. But I find books, and I mean hundreds, on everything about that period, or each individual person, or the military conquests and blah blah blah, except for the basic story of the birth of our government. WTF?

You know...the federalist papers...continental congresses...the articles of confederation...the debates...and finally the constitution - the basic story of this process and the events that drove it. How obvious is that?

Do I have to buy an american history textbook for 100 hundred bucks and rip out the section from 1773 to 1788? Geez, I would have thought I'd have a hard time picking which one to get...instead I can't find a single book that covers this story.

Ideas anyone?

t3h iNt3Rn3Tz0rs!

does it have to be a book. i mean there are millions of web pages on this.

and *cough* http://www.amazon.com/Constitutional-History-United-States/dp/1931313318/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-3098743-4492114?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193424154&sr=8-1

Yes, I really want a book. For several reasons. Mainly because I enjoy reading a book over a screen and I like the portability - I read alot at night in bed, as well as on break time at work. Also, I want my kids to read it. I want them to appreciate the story of how our government was founded.

Thanks for the link. That looks promising, but there are no reviews or any summary so I'll search for it on google and see what it really covers. That's been the problem so far. I'll find a good title that sounds like it's what I'm looking for, then I'll dig into the details and find out it's geared in a different direction.

Edit: Hey, this isn't bad. Here's the full text:

http://www.constitution.org/cmt/mclaughlin/chus.htm

Thanks IA...

your kids are going to hate you for ever. their peers will be getting bikes and RC cars and what'll yours get? a book about a 200 year old peice of paper. if you must get them a book, get one about dinosaurs or something cool. hell, i would take a book on math over a book on politics.

your kids are going to hate you for ever. their peers will be getting bikes and RC cars and what'll yours get? a book about a 200 year old peice of paper. if you must get them a book, get one about dinosaurs or something cool. hell, i would take a book on math over a book on politics.

No, they're going to hate you for recommending it - they're already used to me... ;)

I recommend The Business of May Next by William Lee Miller, University of Virginia Press. This is the story only from James Madison's perspective, but Madison was the father of the constitution save for the Bill of Rights.