Can you hear microwaves?

Pinch Paxton

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It only implies that if you already know how the effect works.

If you don't (can you say "original poster"?) then it doesn't imply anything.

I think that's what MrL was trying to communicate. Post #4 says "this is a fact [insert fact]. This happens [insert observed effect]", without explaining if or how they are linked.

I credit them with alot more sense it would seem than you or mrl then.

I`m also quite confident that if I say something that someone doesn`t understand, they would ask.

but since I used plain english in it`s truest form barring typos or slang (fone), it will hardly be neccesary ;)

Oh well not to worry. I was just concerned that I am in a triangulation of the Mobile Phone Antennas, or whatever they are called, and the noise keeps me awake. I also had a mouse that got cancer, so I am concerned. Maybe my bridge is filling with radiation or something. My jaw does not open fully, and the doctors cannot explain it. Just a few things on my mind.

Pincho.

it`s quite possible that the bridge (there to give a more correct form to tooth allignment) maybe causing pressure in your jaw bone? It seems unlikely any electrical currents induced in the metal will have such an effect, I expect he`s covered the possibility of infection perhaps, I know I had one from a bad tooth the once and it blacked my eye and gave me horendous earache :(

as for hearing it, it`s quite possible that it is causing harmonics within the metal structure, but the radiation cannot "build up" a bit like opening a microwave door, as soon as the power is off there no EM or danger. the most you`ll get will be a very weak current passing through it :)

your pet could have been pure coincidence (we all die of something). if you`re that worried, call the environmental health agency and express your concerns, they will test it out for you, it`s their job :)

Explanation of the effect, btw:

The signal from the phone can induce a current in a wire, much the same as a TV signal inducing a current in a Yagi Array (or 'aerial' if you prefer). The frequency of the signal determines the frequency of the sound, and the pulse length is the same in both.

However, this only works in powered speakers, because the amount of energy transferred in the wave is absolutely tiny.

the frequency of the signal does NOT determine the sound, the PWM does.

and it will induce currents in anything that makes a circuit powered or otherwise, so long as it`s a circuit (closed loop).

{edit} and I don`t know why you chose a yagi type when a simple dipole would have sufficed, there`s nothing fancy about yagis other than directionality DB gain and rough filtering due to SWR configurations?

Pinch Paxton said in post # :

Oh well not to worry. I was just concerned that I am in a triangulation of the Mobile Phone Antennas, or whatever they are called, and the noise keeps me awake. I also had a mouse that got cancer, so I am concerned. Maybe my bridge is filling with radiation or something. My jaw does not open fully, and the doctors cannot explain it.

One thing I just saw was Mythbusters on TV. They tested picking up radio on fillings. It is not feasible. What is likely is that different types of fillings and saliva are acting to make little sparks.

About computer speakers, my friend had one that you could listen to the radio on, and my aunt had a phone that played Cuban propaganda along with the dial tone.

YT2095 said in post # :

the frequency of the signal does NOT determine the sound, the PWM does.

and it will induce currents in anything that makes a circuit powered or otherwise, so long as it`s a circuit (closed loop).

I never said it wouldn't induce a current, just that it wouldn't make a noise.

YT2095 said in post # :

{edit} and I don`t know why you chose a yagi type when a simple dipole would have sufficed, there`s nothing fancy about yagis other than directionality DB gain and rough filtering due to SWR configurations?

Most TV aerials are yagi arrays.

no it doesn`t or at least not in the same way, and a yagi would be crapest of all examples as they`re based loaded coils (hence the DB gain) and will send RF to the set converted.

a dipole is a much more realistic example and considerably easier in comparison to teeth bridges.

anyway, I`m sure he wont mind me correcting him, after all, he is the one to point out Scientific accuracy and the use of approriate terminology for given subject :)

Just a point of interest: the UKs most widely used cell frequencies are 900MHz and 1.8GHz.  For North America its 800 and 1900 MHz.  And when selecting a service, go for the ones that use low frequency, digital signals. ;)

What does PWM stand for BTW?

Pulse [word (width/wave?)] Modulation I'm guessing.

YT2095 said in post # :

no it doesn`t or at least not in the same way, and a yagi would be crapest of all examples as they`re based loaded coils (hence the DB gain) and will send RF to the set converted.

a dipole is a much more realistic example and considerably easier in comparison to teeth bridges.

anyway, I`m sure he wont mind me correcting him, after all, he is the one to point out Scientific accuracy and the use of approriate terminology for given subject :)

Sorry, I forgot this discussion.

I very specifically said "effect, not 'cause' or process'" (because the latter two weren't relevant to my question). By saying "or at least not in the same way" and "a yagi would be crapest of all examples", you're acknowledging the same effect does occur. So although a Yagi might not be the best example, it's just as valid as an example.

I think we can probably agree you didn't so much correct MrL's explanation, rather you enhanced it ;)

• 10 months later...