Need some astronomy help

CaptainHawk1

Hi!

I'm new here (obviously) and I'm taking an astronomy course because I needed another science course for my degree and I could use some help.

I'm going to throw some questions out here and if you folks would be so kind as to answer them it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Radial motion can be revealed by spectroscopic analysis using the:

A) the Doppler Effect. D) the Photoelectric Effect.

B) Stefan's Law. E) Gravitational Redshift.

C) Newtonian Relativity.

2. The particles which enter into chemical reactions are the atom's:

A) neutrons. D) positrons.

B) electrons. E) protons.

C) mesons.

3. What is the resolving power of the telescope?

A) the ability to make distant objects appear closer

B) the ability to distinguish adjacent objects in the sky

C) the ability to separate light into its component colors

D) the ability to collect a lot of light

E) the ability to detect very faint objects

4. Which of these does NOT happen when light enters a glass lens?

A) Photons of different energies are focused at one common focus.

B) The direction of the light ray is changed.

C) Some of the light is reflected off the front surface of the lens.

D) Some of the light is absorbed.

E) The photons of different energies are slowed down to different speeds.

5. The amount of diffraction depends upon:

A) the design of the telescope.

B) the magnification of the eyepiece.

C) the types of glass used in the achromat.

D) the wavelength and the diameter of the telescope objective.

E) the transparency of the atmosphere.

6. By what mechanism does solar energy reach the Sun's photosphere from the layer just underneath it?

A) conduction D) radiation

B) differentiation E) convection

C) ionization

7. Why couldn't you stand on the Sun's surface?

A) The Sun has no surface at all...the photosphere is an illusion.

B) The Sun doesn't have a solid surface.

C) The Sun's surface is too highly magnetized for anything to survive there.

D) You could stand on the surface.

E) You could stand on it, if a sufficiently protective spacesuit could be designed.

8. The pattern of rising hot gas cells all over the photosphere is called:

A) granulation. D) convective projections.

B) sunspots. E) prominences.

C) filaments.

9. The critical temperature to initiate the proton-proton cycle in the cores of stars is:

A) 100 million K D) 2,300,000 K

B) 5,800 K E) 3,000 K

C) 10 million K

10. How many planet Earths could fit inside the Sun?

A) about a thousand D) almost ten million

B) close to a billion E) a little over a million

C) 110

11. The visible waves carrying the most energy appear to the human eye as:

A) green. B) blue. C) orange D) violet. E) red.

12. Which of these forms of EM radiation is typical of sources millions of degrees hot?

A) ultraviolet D) infrared

B) radio E) visible light

C) X-rays

13. Refractor telescopes suffer from this separation of light into its component colors.

A) limited diffraction D) refraction.

B) spherical aberration E) bad seeing

C) chromatic aberration

14. What are two advantages of large scopes over smaller ones?

A) Large scopes are easier to mount and control than small ones.

B) Large scopes have a larger field of view and sharper focus.

C) Large telescopes give higher magnification and are easier to build.

D) Large telescope have more light grasp and better resolution.

E) Large scopes are not subject to atmospheric turbulence and opacity like smaller ones.

15. The convex secondary mirror in this design focuses light down through a hole cut in the concave primary

mirror.

A) refractor D) interferometer

B) Newtonian reflector E) Cassegrain reflector

C) prime focus reflector

16. The density of the Sun is similar to which object?

A) the Earth D) Jupiter

B) Mercury E) the Moon

C) Halley's Comet's nucleus

17. Geosynchronous satellites orbit at about four earth radii, where the earth's gravitational pull is:

A) 1 g. B) 1/4 g. C) 1/16 g. D) 1/2 g. E) 2 g.

18. Loops of glowing hydrogen seen hanging over the solar limb during totality are:

A) halos. D) solar rainbows.

B) filaments. E) prominences.

C) flares.

Thanks again.

-Shawn

Hi Shawn,

How about you tell us what YOU think and where YOU are struggling. People here are glad to help, and to point you in the right direction with some informed guidance, but they really don't appreciate being asked to do someone else's homework.

Again. What do you think the answers are? Where are you having trouble? Cheers.

Actually, it's not my homework. It was a part of a test I found online not connected to my course but that shared a lot of the same questions (google the questions exactly as written and you'll find the test). Originally it had 75 questions and I've been able to answer all of the questions (57 of them, if you're not keeping score) that were the same as the ones in my course. I'm simply using this test as a study guide and I work backwards; that is, I like to have the answer and then find the reason why afterwards. I frankly don't have time to screw around (I'm taking 18 credit hours and I have 3 legal briefs and a take home midterm due within the next week and I'm working full-time on top of that) and I was just hoping for this information for my own personal development (to have a head start). For the record, I'm not struggling with any of it. I've got the highest grade in the class and the curve has been set twice based upon my exam scores. I'm not an 18 year old kid, and as much as I appreciate the response, I don't need a lecture from anyone but my parents or my wife.

Thanks again and I apologize for any misunderstanding.

What you are saying is you are a grownup and know how to teach yourself.

for some reason you want a complete list of answers. I can just take that on faith---although I don't understand how it will help you learn.

If you don't already see that the answer to 1 is A)Doppler

then you must not know what is Doppler.

And then how does my saying 1A help you?

But you are an adult who doesnt want lectures, and you are busy preparing legal briefs and getting top grades. So I can't argue. I have to respect who you say you are. You must know what you are doing.

So i will try to help.

1A

2B

3B

4A

5D

6E

7B

8A (check this, maybe wikipedia can help)

9C

10E

11D

12C

13C

14D

15E

16D

17C

18E

Maybe that'll do for a start. :)

I believe you that this is not homework, or equivalently a takehome test. It is against our rules to give answers to homework---the policy is to make the person figure it out, so they learn more. But I am still curious. You are an adult who does not have to learn this stuff, you want it for your personal development. What good does being told these answers do you? Answer only if you feel like it. It is just simple curiosity on my part.

by the way, there are REALLY helpful resources online:

http://www.astronomycast.com <-- This is my favorite podcast. It explains astronomical issues VERY simply but does go into depth. It's cool, you should try it out.

http://www.badastronomy.com (great blog about astronomy and misconceptions about astronomy)

(EDIT:) And I forgot this one: http://www.jodcast.net/amp/index.html it's a collection of Astronomy lectures and podcasts. Go to "Courses" to pick vid and audio lectures about astronomy, or just pick a general podcast for help.

And, roaming around in itunes podcast "store" (podcasts are free) you can find a lot of actual lectures from university courses (berkley, MIT, etc) - maybe you can find similar to your course and listen to lecture with videos and visual aids that will help you understand the material.

Out of experience, they're all very helpful.

Good luck :)

~moo

.. I'm simply using this test as a study guide and I work backwards; that is, I like to have the answer and then find the reason why afterwards. I frankly don't have time...

OK, I see how it can work as a study guide. I was curious earlier, but I just had to think about it a little. No need for you to explain further. Good luck with yr studies.

Hey Martin (and others :P ) yep 8A is correct, Granulation is right! it gives the suns visible surface a grainy texture (hence the name...)

I hope you ace the test oops i mean get full marks in the homework, oh sorry i mean do well with the "study guide" (I'm just "yanking your chain")