Maglev Wheels???

ttyo888

Hi I wonder if you science guys can see if this works

maglev-track.gif

OK if you guys know that The maglev train moves on magnetic levitation but I wonder if this process can be reversed... in such a way.

I was thinking that this method may make a lot of things faster.... like Tankers?:confused:

Maglev wheel.jpg

I'm not sure that I understand exactly what this is... can give us a bit more info? For example, your drawing looks like a picture of the tracks on a track loader, but the description calls it a wheel... are you talking about wheels or tracks? Does this thing 'levitate' vehicles or just propel them forward magnetically? And what do you mean by the reverse of magnetic levitation?

You still need quite a bit of energy to get it started, but it wouldn't cause much resistance. This looks just like an electric motor in the way it works.

You seem to get it... want to explain it to me?

Well those block can be the tracks of the tanker for example propelled by magnetic leviatation like the Maglev train.

Look I am just a fic writer but I want my readers or audience to believe that this tech might work..... So a bit of reality is still needed

I know it sounds crazy But if this thing can run... it can do a lot of things like say having a few motors running you have just one stretch of maglev track with the tanker treaded being magnetised and propelling forward.

I just need someone to see if the concept still works or if it is to work then what modifications to be done.

Well after putting some thought into it...

It's just a foolish idea. Wheels are used for more efficient transportation with as little energy as possible. But if you have a perfectly usable, minimal friction maglev... Why add wheels? There's no point. Do you see where I'm coming from? Wheels are, in a sense,"old fashioned." At least when it comes to maglevs.

Mot

• 3 weeks later...

This may not be such a foolish idea. instead of the track being linear, why not make the track rotary with an electomagnetic device as the rim to control speed. It could be used to drive a single track vehicle for simplicity like a motorcycle using electric batteries to power it.

Tell me why it cannot be done. No bearings, no noise, no heat and braking could regenerate batteries.

Well I'm NOT saying it wouldn't work.

You tell me. What would be the benefits of this over a traditional mag lev train?

In my pov, it would be used on the same vehicles as you would use a traditional mag lev for. Also, it might be a more costly set up. There's just more things that could go wrong than necessary.

Don't give up on ideas that may fail, it just may also work. I spent 1 year on a concept that corporations gave up on years ago that so far is an improvement on their original design. Think of obstacles as challenges and in no time you'll be amazed at what can be accomplished.

Using magnetic energy as a way of driving a wheel is a radical idea, almost as radical as using an electrical motor to drive a car. We are running out of fossil fuels people, those with alternative ideas will be rewarded years from now.

• 3 years later...

I am very interested in seeing this discussed openly in many circles now. I had the idea for a maglev wheel back in 1998 and drew it up(basic schematics) and even began 1st stage prototyping. I soon realized just how expensive the task would become and had to abandon it sadly. I think the "tank tread" design like which is being discussed here would be the most cost effective way to prove the concept though.

Imagine driving your brand new solid state car!!!!! I mean that's what this technology will come to in the long run.

It's also possible to incorporate the suspension into this system the steering too and with no need of a transmission, this would do for cars what the transistor did for radios. Allow car builders the freedom to design ANY car they could imagine since they wouldn't have to think about the powertrain/suspension/steering in the same way they do now when designing. Not to mention many, many other applications where having a huge number of reciprocating parts is a bad thing, NASA vehicles, racing cars,military vehicles etc…..

All I'm saying is I know this technology has promise and we will begin to see it being used here and there soon. It may never end up on cars, but wow would it be cool if it did somehow =)