New Energy Source

blike

YT2095 said in post # :

that`s given me an idea, I wonder how much energy could be gotten from a hampster if you were to attatch a little geared generator to a hampster wheel?

maybe enough for a small radio? :)

Part of the problem would be the resistance. The hamster would have to work much harder to get it going, or to keep it spinning.

yeah, that`s why I was thinking of using the electric motor and gear box out of a toy car. it`s fairly easy to turn and when put in the center as the axis for the wheel, it should be very easy for a hampster to turn it, even under load :)

60 rpms should kick out a good 4 to 5 volts at about 50ma, enough to charge a little battery for a radio :)

I saw this thing on the TV about solar panals, and it had a little part about a type of window that only lets like half the light through. It absorbs the other half and converts it into electricity. They claimed that if a skyscaper had these windows then it could power itself. What if everyone had these windows? Is this sound plausible?

PS: sorry if i go a little off topic, and ruining your conversation on over-weight hampters :D

YT2095 said in post #14 :

forget it, yer idea sux!

they`re forming a Union and have already started complaint procedures :(

Darn them!

-Demosthenes- said in post #15 :

I saw this thing on the TV about solar panals, and it had a little part about a type of window that only lets like half the light through. It absorbs the other half and converts it into electricity. They claimed that if a skyscaper had these windows then it could power itself. What if everyone had these windows? Is this sound plausible?

Yes, it does. THat would be a great idea.

I remember seeing something similar, but this time it was that the windows would reflect a part of the sunlight further into the building to give more sunlight deep inside the building, and thus saving energy for lamps (at least during the day).

Anyway, both these and the windows you talk about have a small problem: With a lot of skyscrapers, would there be enough light hitting the windows to make much of a difference? Wouldn't the skyscrapers just create shadows for each other?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well if we thought of lots of different ways and places to put solar panals in unused space then we could make alot of energy. We could concentrate our research into making better solar pannels and finding easier ways to use them, and use a complutely renewable resource, not put polution in the air, adn not destroy the forsests that are left.

But there is a problem, what do you do at night? Can you use batteries that save some of the energy from the day? And in the winter and there's not much sun? Maybe it couldn't be the main source of energy, but each building could use these things as more of a energy saver than anything else, so they don't use as much energy.

Maybe...

batteries are almost always used in conjunction with solar electric units :)

as for the winter, the sunshine we get is admitedly less than mid summer, but with modern plastics and construction techniques it need not be a problem, water can be heated in mid winter to quite respectable temperatures even in overcast weathers. this then is used to suplement the existing heating method.