Light Speed and Time Travel

In an article in "Popular Science" I read a theory of how light speed could be acheived and the article said something about a bubble of electrons that the vehicle stays in which keeps the space inside of it a normal while the vehicle compresses the space in front of it and expands the space behind it and apparently using this method it's possible to "travel time". Does anyone care to explain to me how this is even remotly possible? Now I most definitly am no quantum physics expert but I think all this is impossible though I know that space expands and whatnot I dont see how it can be controlled like that. The closest thing to this that I can think of is somehow slowing down the atoms and molecules travelling at "light speed" by using the "electron bubble" mentioned in the article somehow bringing everything in it to near absolute zero while the vehicle travels at normal speed giving the illusion of light speed traveling to whoever is inside. I know how stupid my theory sounds considering alk of the mistakes in it (no need to point them out I'm well aware of them)

so can anyone tell me what they were talking about in the article?

srry if I posted on the wrong board by the way

Edit: If one of you mods could move this to the quantum theory board could you move it?

Edit: come on people dont not read it because its a little bit long! dont be lazy now!

Edit: are you not replying because I said something stupid or simething?

In an article in "Popular Science" I read a theory of how light speed could be acheived and the article said something about a bubble of electrons that the vehicle stays in which keeps the space inside of it a normal while the vehicle compresses the space in front of it and expands the space behind it and apparently using this method it's possible to "travel time".

I believe you are referring to this article:

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviationspace/d1e527098dcda010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

warp_diagram_485.jpg

warp_howto_485.jpg

Does anyone care to explain to me how this is even remotly possible?

It's not... yet. It is an idea based on some serious speculation, and there are lot of really big "ifs" still to be sorted out. From the link above:

The Warp Drive To-Do List

A few not-so-minor challenges you’ll need to tackle before takeoff

• Discover Negative Energy: There are no known particles with negative mass. The closest scientists have come is a phenomenon called the Casimir effect, wherein empty space between two conducting plates behaves as if it contains negative energy.

• Devise a Way To Manipulate It: Even if scientists could transform matter into negative energy, they would still have to find a way to focus it and create an infinitesimally thin, yet extraordinarily stable, bubble of the stuff around the spaceship.

• Harness Dark Energy: In recent years, cosmologists have been studying a mysterious force called dark energy that they think is accelerating the expansion of the universe. If scientists could generate it at the back of the bubble, it might move, or expand, space.

• Build Bubble Brakes: Because the spacetime carrying the ship would be completely cut off from the outside of the bubble, there would be no way to send a signal to turn off the warp drive. The signal would never get there, and the ship would never stop

By the way, this is a forum, not a chatroom. Sometimes it will take days to get a single response to a question, and it has nothing to do with people being lazy or inattentive. There are people of all ages here, and many work full time jobs, logging in here just to relax and explore. Good luck on your float for school.