determing if functions are inverses

Presuming you have two bijections, [imath]f : A \to B[/imath] and [imath]g : B \to A[/imath], then one takes the composite of the functions. If [imath]f \circ g = \text{id}_B[/imath] and [imath]g \circ f = \text{id}_A[/imath] (where [imath]\text{id}_X[/imath] is the identify function [imath]\text{id}_X (x) = x[/imath]) then [math]g = f^{-1}[/math].

Not quite; it is necessary that [math]f(g(x)) = g(f(x)) = x[/math].

imath tags do display math a little differently (namely they typeset inline maths). For example, [math]\lim_{x\to\infty}[/math] vs. [imath]\lim_{x\to\infty}[/imath]

Yes, what Dave says is an important addition.

A nice counter example, where g ◦ f is an identity map, while f ◦ g is not an identity map:

Function f from R to RxR: f(x) = (x, x)

Function g from RxR to R: g(x, y) = x

(g ◦ f)(x) = g(f(x)) = g(x,x) = x

(f ◦ g)(x, y) = f(g(x, y)) = f(x) = (x, x) ≠ (x, y)

Not quite; it is necessary that [math]f(g(x)) = g(f(x)) = x[/math].

I'm confused. In your set-up you had [math]f: A\rightarrow B, g: B \rightarrow A[/math]. This implies [math] x \in A, f(x) \in B[/math]. If [math] g\circ f = id_A[/math] then [math]g(f(x)) = x[/math] as you say.

But if [math]f\circ g = id_B[/math] how can [math]f(g(x)) = x[/math]? This implies [math]x \in B[/math] also, and that A = B. Is this what you meant?

Wouldn't it be clearer if you said for all [math] x \in A, y \in B, g(f(x)) = x, f(g(y)) = y[/math]?

Certainly I see no requirement that in general [math]g(f(x)) = f(g(y))[/math] Or am I missing the point?

I'm confused. In your set-up you had [math]f: A\rightarrow B, g: B \rightarrow A[/math]. This implies [math] x \in A, f(x) \in B[/math]. If [math] g\circ f = id_A[/math] then [math]g(f(x)) = x[/math] as you say.

But if [math]f\circ g = id_B[/math] how can [math]f(g(x)) = x[/math]? This implies [math]x \in B[/math] also, and that A = B. Is this what you meant?

Wouldn't it be clearer if you said for all [math] x \in A, y \in B, g(f(x)) = x, f(g(y)) = y[/math]?

Certainly I see no requirement that in general [math]g(f(x)) = f(g(y))[/math] Or am I missing the point?

The two "x"s are different. In writing g(f(x))= x, yes, the assumption is that x is in the domain of f, the set A. In writing f(g(x))= x, the assumption is that x is in the domain of g, the set B.

It would have been more precise to say "For all x in A, g(f(x))= x and for all x in B, f(g(x))= x".

I, personally, would probably have said "For all x in A, g(f(x))= x and for all y in B, f(g(y))= y" to make the distinction even clearer.

Good. In which case, the statement that "it necessary that [math] f(g(x)) = g(f(x) = x [/math]" is ...ahem.. misleading.

Yes, it is. Let me clarify: I'm saying that it is a requirement that [imath]f \circ g = \text{id}_B[/imath] and [imath]g \circ f = \text{id}_A[/imath]. My desire to use the least amount of notation possible unfortunately caused some misunderstanding.

So, anyway. Returning to the OP.

I was wondering if someone could explain to me the easiest method for determining if two functions are inverses of each other?

First as has been said, more-or-less, if a function is bijective, you may assume it has an inverse. So what's a bijection? Here.

Let f: A --> B. If, for all z in B there exists x in A such that f(x) = z, the function f is said to be surjective.

If for some x and y in A, f(x) = f(y) in B implies x = y in A, f is said to be injective.

A function that is both injective and surjective is said to be a bijection.

How to "determine" bijectivity? One way would be to graph your function, i.e. x vs f(x). If any "line" passing through the +/- f(x) axis and parallel to the +/- x axis intersects the curve f(x) vs x at least once and no more than once, then you have your bijection, an invertible function.

Micky Mouse? Of course, hope it helps.