Game theory book suggestions

Royston

Does anybody have any recommendations for books on game theory, (under-grad physics student) so from basics to intermediate...I can only find books aimed at post-grad Economics, Maths et.c which will be too technical for somebody at my level, maybe I havn't looked hard enough, not sure.

I'm more interested in the purely mathematical side, rather than the complex computational use of game theory.

I.E I'm not looking for a book filled with computational algorithms, instead starting with basic situations and use of matrices and onwards.

How I missed this I have no idea...'An Introduction to Game Theory' :doh: by Martin Osbourne, but this seems to fit the bill. Has anyone read this at all ?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0195128958/ref=sib_rdr_dp/701-8935623-6203549

• 3 weeks later...

Snail, I am sorry, every day I log on and see this post and keep thinking "I really should recommend that book I read last year" but I never went to the shelf and got it out. Well, today, when a new post bumped you from the top, I finally got off my duff and did it:

I read Games and Decisions. Introduction and Critical Survey by R. Duncan Luca and Howard Raiffa. I thought it was pretty good. It is a Dover book, so it lists for $15.95, but because it is a Dover book I think that it is a little dated. It was originally published in 1957, and Dover republished it in 1989. It doesn't have any modern work at all, but all the classical results are covered in very good detail. It has exactly what is sounds like you are looking for "starting with basic situations and use of matrices and onwards." For the cheap Dover price, it is well worth it.

Game Theory was just one of many passing interests, so I never found a more modern book to read, though I am definitely interested. Someday...