Genetics and Africa's agriculture

gmoafrica

There has been a lot of discussion about the importance of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in Africa. Opponents argue that GMOs present no benefits to African farmers. Proponents say that the U.S., Canada, Argentina, India, China, and to a lesser extent South Africa have benefited from GMOs by commercializing genetically modified crops, and, therefore, Africa has no choice but to follow suit.

Just last week, Kofi Annan joined the ranks of skeptics of genetically modified crops by affirming that the Alliance for Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), which he heads wouldn't integrate these crops in its programs. Mr. Annan's position has received stiff opposition, especially from the scientific community. AGRA has since clarified that it's not totally opposed to GM crops. Is Africa doing itself harm by refusing to embrace gene technology to improve its agriculture?

I don't think you are interested in discussion. Your username tells us you are interested in only one thing. You have 8 posts and 7 of them are thread starters, all defending genetically modified crops, primarily in Africa. I think you have an agenda and I think you are being paid for it.

All of these things are inconsistent with our purpose. This is a scientific discussion forum, not your personal marketing platform.

Please discuss.

I think your suppositions have a high probability of being correct, Phi for All. I personally know someone who's job it was to cruise forums, assess opinions of certain movies or tv shows or video games, and to attempt to change them in one way or another. Yes, he was paid to do it. However, he was probably better at it, because he told me the rules were that he had to have at least 100 neutral posts in the forum, thus establishing himself as a real member, before he began to make his influential posts. Apparently this person has just jumped right in.