direction of translocation in plants

joelle

this question is driving me insane. i tried every website but cant find the answer to it. if anyone knows please post.

In which direction(s) does the translocation of plant food occur?

I am afraid, I do not understand the question. Are you refer to nutrients that plants get or do you mean food of herbal origin? Also, if you are talking about translocation, are you talking about the organismic level, or are you referring to organs, or single cells?

I'm assuming you're talking about movement of sugars in a plant, which move according to the "source-sink" model. They go from a source of sugars, where they are constructed (such as in a leaf, from photosynthesis) or stored (such as a tuber, etc), to a sink, where they are needed for growth or energy. Mineral nutrients and the like are distributed through the plant in the xylem water, which moves from roots upwards to shoots. Sugar movement in the phloem is not unidirectional, and depends on where the source and sink are, which can change.

If that's what you're asking, your question is in the wrong place.