Resistent Material.

foodchain

For instance when I go to turn off my monitor, I have the off button on the monitor BTW, when I hit it I imagine that I transfer a bit of energy to the button and the monitor. When this energy is applied on say the molecular level of the button or monitor itself, does the energy propagate out, or is the reaction or action for that matter based on every atom itself reacting basically.

Lastly, how long would a amount of energy(quanta?) spend in a single atom, or for that matter a couple of atoms and what does this this have to do if anything with the bonds they may hold with other atoms? Example is say you blast a piece of metal with an AP round from a rifle, the metal itself may give way and take on a configuration that I imagine is based around basically that system of atoms reacting to the incoming system of such, the bullet, but you have so much time that is spent in which leaves say the information of the metal now in a different configuration, which has to have something to do with time I would think. If you controlled the environment perfectly to what we can, such as angle and velocity of the round and FPS of the round and so on, you would still retain a difference in what the metal chunk looked like after the fact of being struck by the round correct? What yields that?

What I am thinking about is simple overall, or at least I hope if i have any of the above correct that is. You could make a material, basically that could react with the incoming round possible, that makes it easier for the energy to glance based on time spent for the round on the surface of the material. Such as the material would be able to compress and so on and deal with a certain amount of energy coming from any particular angle for enough time as to basically deflect the energy of the round and thus carry the round at an angle away from the material.

Your post suggests you like firearms; that's good! And, that's about all I've figured out regarding what you're saying.

Materials are thought to consist of a structure typically called a crystal lattice. The lattice's actual configuration depends on many things; if metal, it is closely packed and does not allow much shifting around of molecules (or atoms), so if you are asking about a means of fending off a bullet by some unusual theoretical method, I doubt that I can be of much help.

Armor-piercing rounds typically have a very hard material up front, capable of entering the structure of metal cladding without disintegrating or deforming excessively. Even more effective is the "shaped charge", which explosively drives a very hard auxiliary projectile forward and is capable of penetrating many inches or armor plate.

Has this helped? imp

Your post suggests you like firearms; that's good! And, that's about all I've figured out regarding what you're saying.

Materials are thought to consist of a structure typically called a crystal lattice. The lattice's actual configuration depends on many things; if metal, it is closely packed and does not allow much shifting around of molecules (or atoms), so if you are asking about a means of fending off a bullet by some unusual theoretical method, I doubt that I can be of much help.

Armor-piercing rounds typically have a very hard material up front, capable of entering the structure of metal cladding without disintegrating or deforming excessively. Even more effective is the "shaped charge", which explosively drives a very hard auxiliary projectile forward and is capable of penetrating many inches or armor plate.

Has this helped? imp

I thought AP had a hard smaller core like rod really, but I could be wrong. What I was more getting at I guess is something maybe akin to vibration in bonds or atoms really, or any elastic force the bonds themselves may hold and any ability to somehow "program" such in regards to electromagnetic. I think I read somewhere that a nano composite, I think carbon fiber at a 30% level to say a armored door greatly enhances its resistance. I guess it really comes down to how "liquid" forces or properties of matter happen to be at the atomic level really, or the ability for them to be programmed I guess. I mean if you could have it react to form a cone to the bullet that would be great, for the most part though I think material pits really, though I think basically if the material has enough resistance the time the round spends on the surface is not enough basically to allow penetration. Then the other idea that if you have a very hard surface that some materials on impact will actually become a plasma and simply "eat" through the material, that’s where I figured compression would be good simply to maybe defeat this. Then another avenue I think is weapons that pass energy through the material to make material on the inside of the vehicle detach and impact the crew at high velocities. I think not only compression would be good at that point but a material that can propagate the wave out over a higher amount of material and hopefully not compression it so much. The other idea though is simply point detonating weapons, in which an explosion rather then a projectile is used, but then again I think the simply ability to propagate the energy out rather then it being able to attack really a point of the structure solely would be of awesome benefit, more so in a shape itself, the vehicle that is that also attempts to do this, I think that’s where the V shaped hull came into play really in modern combat vehicles. The matter of the fact is I don’t think you can make a fully resistant material, but for the most part the arms that exist today not only have a cost associate with them, but a concentration also. RPG-7 may be much more readily available then a silkworm for instance. It may also be more on the concentration to the aspect of crew survivability then the vehicle itself. A 155mm round of comp B exploded underneath a vehicle may be very difficult to defeat in terms of maintain a functional vehicle, but the vehicle itself should be design more to the aspect of crew survivability then say the vehicle itself. Point being better materials I think would not only save life’s, but in themselves could probably deter a great deal of conflict if enemies combatants simply knew there weapons would be grossly ineffective, it would also induce certain behaviors such people would have to commit in order to obtain any effective results which would aid in intelligence.

Possibly close to ultimate, the U.S. military has experimented with a means to render a vehicle invisible to the human eye.

This is achieved by scanning the terrain behind the vehicle, then projecting that "view" across the front, or visible part, of the vehicle, thereby making it appear the same as the view behind it. (??!!!) imp

For instance when I go to turn off my monitor, I have the off button on the monitor BTW, when I hit it I imagine that I transfer a bit of energy to the button and the monitor. When this energy is applied on say the molecular level of the button or monitor itself, does the energy propagate out, or is the reaction or action for that matter based on every atom itself reacting basically.

Interactions between atoms will propagate at some speed related to the speed of sound in the material, which tells you how stiff the substance is (Young's modulus). So it deforms a small amount, and then the whole thing moves. The deformation is usually temporary, and the energy deposited will show up thermally — the substance will equilibrate and be a little bit warmer. The action may also radiate sound. If the deformation is permanent, then you will have disrupted some bonds, and that takes energy, too.