Entropy and Evolution

foodchain

I don’t really know where to place this thread, and I know I come up with lots of odd ball ideas it seems but hey at least its something out of the norm at least.

I would like to reference this question to the big bang and the evolution of matter really. After the big bang and the subsequent time the elapsed until the common matter today came about, or matter with mass, examples being the proton for electron for instance, or carbon or oxygen, is it really a random assortment type of process that lead to this? What I mean is say you have the big bang, boom, and then what lead to matter and mass for instance? Was it a guaranteed process to get electrons and protons, and of the type they are for instance, or for the matter and of the common elements, such as carbon, or oxygen? I don’t know why I reference entropy save to say that the path of least resistance seems to have large applications they typically giving, for instance when reading on how they proved light is not solely a particle for instance, well, you can see that same motion is water really if you drop two pebbles for instance a second apart into the water, and its somewhat like the path of least resistance, which reminds me of entropy somewhat. Being a waterfall cannot deduce a different path, or such occurs naturally in respects to the energy in the system occurring, blah, and so on.

If you are after definitive answers, foodchain, you will not get them.

Physicists are still working on the big questions relating to the Big Bang and what followed.

Indeed, there are a number of scientists who are toying with the idea that our universe is only one of many, and the laws of physics are different from one to another, in what is probably a random way. Thus, we have the situation in our universe purely because chance dictated a set of laws, and these are different in other universes.

For our universe in particular, the laws of quantum physics as we know them were set in place. This appears to have created a probability for a particular kind of matter and a particular kind of distribution of that matter.

However, a feature of quantum physics is randomness when dealing with the very small. So, when the universe was very small, quantum randomness resulted in a kind of distribution of the 'stuff' that existed then. Then, according to current theory, the process of inflation took over. This accelerated all that 'stuff' so that the density of the universe dropped dramatically and its size increased dramatically. At the larger size, the quantum randomness no longer applied, and the uneven distribution of matter now forming was preserved.

This uneven distribution, eventually after many millions more years, resulted in the formation of stars and galaxies.

First of all the big bang was not a explosion it did not started with a bang because sound waves could not have existed. The space and time itself expanded. The theory of general relativity can not be apllied during the panck time i.e. the period between the moment of origin and 10-43 seconds.

I don’t know why I reference entropy save to say that the path of least resistance seems to have large applications they typically giving, for instance when reading on how they proved light is not solely a particle for instance, well, you can see that same motion is water really if you drop two pebbles for instance a second apart into the water, and its somewhat like the path of least resistance, which reminds me of entropy somewhat. Being a waterfall cannot deduce a different path, or such occurs naturally in respects to the energy in the system occurring, blah, and so on.

Even though these things are far from settled, I would say the your intuitive association of evolution and entropy is a very good one. Keep it :)

There are some approaches in physics which is working on a strong information approach, and that all the laws of physics may be explainable in terms of a generalised entropy principle.

I expect alot out of this in the future. And it has a clear potential to unify the biological evolution as a natural extension to the supposed evolution of various elementary particles, and atoms, then molecules. I am convinced that there is a uniform logic to be found.

Some associations...

evolution ~ adaption ~ learning ~ equilibration

Entropy as a measure of missing information is a key concept there.

/Fredrik