What do you ride?

bascule

For the cyclists amongst us, what's your ride?

Mine's a Schwinn Le Tour. Umm, what is there to say about it... it has a giant 63cm frame, which means with the seat post entirely down it fits me quite well. It's a speedy roadie and does a great job getting me around town.

521164996_15c2066666.jpg

I've been bouncing around the idea of doing a single speed modification on it, as my daily commute is virtually flat, but considering that Boulder is somewhat hilly (being nestled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains) I've been somewhat reluctant.

My bike has been in the shed for at least a year, possibly more, I'm planning to get it out again this summer though. Riding around Essex for my last few months in this part of the country should be fun, there are very few hills here, most of the hills are fake anyway so they're fairly bike friendly.

Fake as in landscaped rather than there as a consequence of natural process. This usually means that they are impressively steep on one side, but have an accessible side so that no-one actually has to get any exercise in order to get a pretty view or vantage point.

My wife has a really expensive French bicycle. I forget the name... Peugot maybe? She's a serious rider and does 150-mile charity runs and stuff like that. I'm not in her league but I ride with her for fun and exercise. I just have a plain old 12-speed I picked up at a local sporting goods store. She won't let me touch hers, which is crazy light. I couldn't ride it anyway since you need special shoes that clamp into the pedals.

I have one of those super-ultralight racing bikes. I take it for a spin a couple of times a week on the road. I also have a mountain bike that I use for the White Mountains (In New Hampshire if nobody knows what they are) since I live about 40 miles away from them.

I have a Mountain bike, but I'm saving up for a new one, (I'm saving up for allot of stuff at the moment....hmmm) The one I have is a Raleigh but i want a Santa Cruz Nomad: http://www.santacruzmtb.com/nomad/

what a killer of a bike (with a killer of a price tag)

I saw one of those in Breckenridge. Seemed like a good place for it (the guy said he got it in Moab) Those things have crazy tread on their tires.

Diametrical opposite of what I'm going for though.

• 2 weeks later...

an (old) claud bulter rock mountainbike. not really sure what to say about it, other than it's great? deals with crappy roads perfectly, v-breaks with alloy wheels (working breaks = vital), and front-suspention for a bit of extra grip, confort, and 'whoops i misjudged that curb at high speed oh well my wheels probably not buckled' action :D

I have two mountain bikes. One for the Rockies west of the city and one for the Badlands to the East. Both are sturdy 'tanks' and get banged up.

I leave one among the sagebrush in the Badlands and just use it when I'm out in that area. Both tires are usually punctured by cacti by the end of the day and I toss them and replace the tires and tubes with replacements found in our city alleys...it's amazing how many good bikes are tossed out these days...I'll take the tires off them. Bikes, like watches, used to be valuable and cherished possesions when I was a kid.

The bike I use in the Rockies is a 15 year old work horse. Speed isn't an issue. No desire to go around the corner of a trail or mountain road too quickly and come nose to nose with a Grizzly, Cougar or Moose.

Other than tires, I've never replaced anything on these bikes over the years. One is an 'Alaskan' and the other a 'CCM'. Bought them for less than a hundred dollars each. I can't see myself ever buying a new bike in future as there's hundreds of excellent second hand bikes that are at almost give away prices or left in the alleys for free take away.

• 2 weeks later...