Geometry

rigadin

[math]A=\pi*a*b[/math]

where a and b are the semimajor and semiminor axis.

Which is the distance from the middle to the furthest point, and the distance from the centre to the edge at 90degrees from the semimajor axis.

Depends on what measurements you already have, if you like then [math]Area=\frac{\pi l h}{4}[/math], or you might want to use calculus. What's the context and what level are you working at?

Interestingly, does anyone know the difference between an oval and ellipse, if there is one?

No I got it. I just didn't understand what the word mean!! But now I do. Correct me if I am wrong: The semimajor axis is like half of the length of the oval and the semimajor axis is like half the length of the height!

Thanks anyway

Close enough, semimajor is half the longest distance across and semiminor is half the shortest distance across (if you think about the words, that's kind of obvious) through the centre in both cases.

Although that's only their values, there's a little more to what they actually mean.