We're getting ready for Gundams

Genecks

As time passes by, I'm starting to notice the advancement in video games. You have Tetris Weightlifting, GameRunner, the Wii, DDR, and various games that include mental and physical stimulation. As I look at these things, however, I'm starting to notice these would be the kind of things involved in using a Gundam.

If you think about the various Gundam series and the way pilots used them, you understand that all this future technology could easily be used to help people pilot Gundams. We're preparing the next few generations to use Gundams.

As time passes by, I'm starting to notice the advancement in video games. You have Tetris Weightlifting, GameRunner, the Wii, DDR, and various games that include mental and physical stimulation. As I look at these things, however, I'm starting to notice these would be the kind of things involved in using a Gundam.

If you think about the various Gundam series and the way pilots used them, you understand that all this future technology could easily be used to help people pilot Gundams. We're preparing the next few generations to use Gundams.

I don’t think gundams are viable in reality. A main battle tank for the U.S army loaded is about 70 tons really. Now in the gundam reality, you can one of these which make tanks look small, propelled very fast and then they simply land on the ground. Now maybe in the vacuum of space or something, I just don’t see such agile energy consuming beasts being able to survive on a planetary environment like the earth in the way portrayed unless we make some serious technological advances really.

A small battle suit would probably be more efficient since they wouldn't have to be big but still have a great deal of firepower and would be much safer and easier to use for the human operator.

I could see Gundam's as viable if it was remote controlled. This would eliminate the need for life-support and would eliminate the hazards that would result from operation. Plus they would be far more cost-effective that way.

And it's a poor model because:

Not as stable as other shapes.

Bigger target than other shapes.

Harder to move hydraulically (stepping) than otherwise (ie treads or wheels or someday maybe hovering).

Not a great platform, especially if weapons are only used in the "hands," as the rear is undefended.

And so on. I agree, but think it should be clarified.