Energy Absorption of Reflected Light by Solar Panels

Ikbendom

Hey guys, I am trying to get a straight answer on this but can’t seem to find one. Would a solar panel absorb light reflected from a mirror? What I am saying is illustrated below

Grey = mirrors

Yellow = Sun and suns energy

Black= Light blocking device

Green = Solar panel

energy%20diagram.jpg

In this silly little diagram would energy be transferred to the solar panal or is that incorrect?

The idea you propose is already being used in just a slightly different format. basically they have rows of a material the focuses the light on I think a pipe of some material containing a type of oil if memory serves. The concentrate light on the oil circulates the system and generates energy from solar energy. Its all a bit foggy but yes mirror type systems are in use in regards to alternative energy.

That depends on if the mirrors reflect the wavelengths that the solar panel uses. Generally, I´d think "yes". As a quick check you can try to find out what wavelength the solar panel uses. If it´s the wavelength of visible light, then it will definitely work.

reflected light will lose energy as nothing we know of(macroscopically) is a perfect mirror. so when the light hit the solar pannel then yo would maybe only get 98% of the energy you would get if it was in direct sunlight.

To add to what insane alien said, the mirrors are only affective if your trying to focus the light from a large area. This would work in a desert, perhaps.

I beleive the Weizman Institue in Irsael has a solar powered particle accelarator... though I don't think it's in use anymore.

reflected light will lose energy as nothing we know of(macroscopically) is a perfect mirror. so when the light hit the solar pannel then yo would maybe only get 98% of the energy you would get if it was in direct sunlight.

Of course if your solar panel only works over a small band of wavelengths you could use a cool meta-material to get them...

When light particles collide, do they create energy? Eg would two ---><--- focused beams create heat?

Nothing "creates energy" just transphorms it from one type to another. I believe that 2 interacting photons can create an electron-positron pair. But mass-energy is conservered.

Any heating up of the surface of the mirror would be lost energy. As stated in postings above, however, this might not be significant if the reflection is efficient. The loss of energy and challenge in some solar systems is in the storage of that energy in a battery and efficient use of that energy when needed. Every stage from sunlight to your lightbulb turning on involves a chipping away of the energy.