Presidential Debates

Haezed

Here's a thread to discuss the debates. I didn't see anything too interesting in the first debate except I kept wondering if John Edwards purposefully made his hair a bit messy.

So here's a question while we wait: Which debate would you most like to see regardless of who you support for president?

My vote would be Hillary vrs. Newt.

I can't picture any pair-up of the current lot that actually be a good debate, though most have the potential to be funny. (That's really depressing, now that I think about it.) Hair Wars: Edwards vs. Romney would be something. A Clinton vs. Giuliani rematch might be fun, also.

I've actually voted for Newt Gingrich before, but I don't think I would vote for him now that he's aligned with the Christian right. He does seem to still have that common-sense perspective and raw intelligence that prompted me to vote for him back in the 1980s, but I'd have to take a hard look at it.

Hillary vs Newt, and the whole business of Newt's resurgence would be a bizarre set of events. Reminds me of Teddy Roosevelt in 1912.

I've actually voted for Newt Gingrich before, but I don't think I would vote for him now that he's aligned with the Christian right. He does seem to still have that common-sense perspective and raw intelligence that prompted me to vote for him back in the 1980s, but I'd have to take a hard look at it.

Hillary vs Newt, and the whole business of Newt's resurgence would be a bizarre set of events. Reminds me of Teddy Roosevelt in 1912.

Well, how exactly is he aligned with them? Is he aligned with protecting their rights or pushing their agenda? I'm asking because I really don't know.

The obsession with the elimination of "god" from all things public seems to be a popular thing and I wouldn't accuse anyone trying to prevent that elimination as aligned with the right, although it would certainly appear that way.

Well, how exactly is he aligned with them? Is he aligned with protecting their rights or pushing their agenda? I'm asking because I really don't know.

The obsession with the elimination of "god" from all things public seems to be a popular thing and I wouldn't accuse anyone trying to prevent that elimination as aligned with the right, although it would certainly appear that way.

I think you have to decide that for yourself. My impression from interviews I've seen is that he believes in their agenda and will promote it as president. That means more faith-based public initiatives (churches getting federal funds), for example. He'd push for prayer in public schools, oppose same-sex marriage, and support the death penalty. (Though I believe he's pro-choice on abortion.)

What it would probably not mean in Newt's case would be the kind of denial of science we've seen under Bush 2. Gingrich supports fetal stem cell research, opposes creationism, and takes other pro-science positions. He's an ardent supporter of space exploration and development. (I actually met him at a science fiction convention in 1984, where he sat on a panel discussing space policy along with author Larry Niven.) In one sense if he were to be elected he could present a more positive role model for right-wing fundamentalists. I always felt that if Bush had lead that movement instead of followed it he'd have been more successful.

However, on the subject of energy science and the environment, I doubt he would be popular amongst that aspect of the scientific community.

I think you have to decide that for yourself. My impression from interviews I've seen is that he believes in their agenda and will promote it as president. That means more faith-based public initiatives (churches getting federal funds), for example. He'd push for prayer in public schools, oppose same-sex marriage, and support the death penalty. (Though I believe he's pro-choice on abortion.)

Yeah the same-sex marriage and death penalty would be hard for me to ignore, although I guess you're never going to agree with someone a hundred percent.

Well I'll keep an eye out for some interviews and see. If I get the same impression, I'll probably stick with the libertarian candidate.