Beat the Test, Win a Job!

JesterArts

I was looking at one of those corporate application tests that run about 40 questions/problems that are to be complete in 20 minutes time. I noticed some obvious and not so obvious patterns in the nature of the questions, which are meant to simultaneously evaluate your honesty with your qualifications.

I am absolutely fascinated with the fact that in these times a person's first interviewer is a computer! I know these forums are populated with the people who design these systems.

Hence, I would absolutely love to know the dynamics this system is built on. What patterns exactly are built into them? How are the scores generated? What do they mean for the person?

I'm going to be writing an article for a "Riddler's Corner" part of my website I am designing. Any links, comments, or imput collected from this thread will help in my research. Its not a very forthcoming subject in the searches I've done.

I'm aware that even knowing the system doesn't give one a huge advantage, especially in light of the 20 minute time frame its given. My intent to give a humorous and educational insight to this system, since it does end up being like one grand puzzle if one intends to not simply bank on honesty to complete it.

Thanks guys!

I wouldn't really say that applicant testing is a new phenomenon -- the first job I ever applied for (>20 years ago) I had to take a typing test. (grin)

Perhaps the real story there is the degree to which companies have come to rely on that information (or not, and if not why not, etc), if that makes sense. Not only how the tests are constructed, but how they are interpreted -- a completely different subject but still very interesting in its own right.

I've become somewhat interested in the subject of testing lately for another reason -- I'm a new undergraduate teacher, struggling with finding the right balance between multiple-choice convenience and practical-exam accuracy (amongst other issues). I've been somewhat overwhelmed by the difficulties involved.

In this case before any real human interaction transpired on the subject of the job, a booklet and sheet were tossed at me. I took them, read it carefully a while, more interested in the nature of the test than actually doing it...then when the time was up I tossed it back and walked out.

But what I noticed is that the same questions were asked sometimes even three times, merely under subtly different guises. Obviously, the same answer would have to be chosen three times, avoiding contradictions which would flag you.

I also noticed the question "Do you consider yourself an extremist?" and I realized that in answering "No" to this question but choosing "Strongly aggree or strongly disagree" on other questions often in the test might flag an applicant as well.

In this case, passing the test regardless of my honesty would merely cause the computer to spit out my score with the label "Grade A Meat" which the human interviewer would read an quite happily invite me back for an interview.

Nonetheless, I left with a new curiosity of exactly how this test works in depth.

its not really that much different from the interview process is it? its really just a filter system for that to get the candidate that are obviously unsuited for the job out of the system before they waste somebodies time by arranging an interview.

obviously, artificial intelligence is not at the point where it can decide whether to ask questions that would distinguish between an OK candidate and a superb candidate. this is what human interviewers are for and probably will be for a long time to come even if AI does progress enough.