Email Forwarding?

Sisyphus

Hi,

If you use Outlook Express, you can create a rule whereby all messages received are automatically forwarded to a specified email address (or addresses).

Click on the "Tools" menu and select the "Message Rules" option, then the "Mail" category. (NB: I'm basing this information on the version I have on my PC which is Outlook Express 6).

When the "Message Rules" form appears, click on the "New" button.

Scroll the bottom of the options listed in section "1. Select the Conditions for your rule:" and select the "For all messages" option.

Then, in the next section "2. Select the Actions for you rule:", select "Forward it to people".

Then, in section "3. Rule Description" is should say:

"Apply this rule after the message arrives

For all messages

Forward it to people"

Here the word "people" is a hyperlink, click on it and another form will appear called "Select People". You can either type in a single address or multiple addresses (semi-colon seperated).

The in section "4. Name of the rule", give it meaningful name like "Auto Forward to user@domain.com" and hit the OK button to save the rule.

You can forward any existing mail by clicking the "Apply Now..." button, there and then.

Later, all you need to do is leave Outlook Express running with "Check for new messages every X mins" set (see "Tools Menu", "Options", "General Tab").

I hope this helps :)

Yeah I usually handle this through my web hosting company's email configuration utilities.

Tadzio's reply above is very helpful; the only disadvantage to that approach is that you'd have to leave it running all the time.

Sendmail and IIS both have features that cover this from the server side, I believe (not positive about IIS -- its email features are pretty limited). Exchange would have this as well, of course, but it's not a home user product ($$$) (I just mention these options in case this might be a work-related thing).

Pangloss' is right, using Outlook Express does have this disadvantage: "you'd have to leave it running all the time."

But I must say, Sendmail and IIS are both subject to the same disadvantage: if you don't keep them running they're not going to forward your mail.

;)

Pangloss' is right, using Outlook Express does have this disadvantage: "you'd have to leave it running all the time."

But I must say, Sendmail and IIS are both subject to the same disadvantage: if you don't keep them running they're not going to forward your mail.

;)

But they are server solutions, as Pangloss noted. They normally run when the server is on. If the server isn't running, you're not going to get the mail anyway.

I did intend my previous post to be jocular but, looking back, it just sounds pedantic and therefore not actually helpful.

Seriously though, Pangloss is right in what he says; if can get Sendmail or IIS up and running they would run as services and thus be capable of forwarding your email even when you not logged in.

If you can't get Sendmail or IIS going then let us know here. You may be able to run Outlook Express as a service using SRVANY (I've never tried it before but I’ll experiment with it and tell you how to do it - if you need me to).

I am, of course, making the massive assumption that you using Win2000 or WinXP. Win9X doesn’t support services. I know Vista’s “Windows Mail” (the new Outlook Express) is so tight on Identities that running before logging on is probably out of the question.

If you using a Non-Microsoft O/S then I'm barking completely up the wrong tree :)

just a few questions; i doubt the answre will be 'yes' to any of them, but if it is it's worth knowing:

do you use web-based email (like homail/gmail/etc)?

do you just want to do this once?

no offence intended; I've just found it saves time to make no assumptions about someones level of computer literacy.

Tadzio's reply above is very helpful; the only disadvantage to that approach is that you'd have to leave it running all the time.

you could probably tinker about with a winlogon reg key to get outlook to fire up once on shutdown (or logon, i suppose), look for email, forward it, and shutdown again.

slightly OT, but if you're using outlook, you should probably switch to something like thunderbird for security reasons.