Removing markings from paper

Guest Merman

A bit of an unusual question for you all, I am sure, but a rather easy one I'd say. I recently purchased a used book from a library and would like to remove the writing on the inside cover that has the library's name. What would be the best way to go about doing this? I have considered using bleach but am afraid that it will either eat through the cover or not do the job. Thanks in advance.

Hmmm... I don`t think ammonia is a good idea for stain/ink removal, if the substance is acidic it may well make it permanent!, ammonia (originaly Urine that was used) is a Mordant (keeps dyes permanent).

I reccomend against Ammonia, sorry wolfson :(

Brake fluid or brake cleaner are good for some, acetone (nail polish remover) for others, hairspray also, 1.1.1 trichloroethylene (tipex thinners/ dry cleaning fluid) are a few to try, but as I said in my other post, it`s hard to know 100% without a sample or knowing it`s composition. ;)

do you really think that`s what he`s trying to do??

I hope NOT, that`s denying OTHER people the information that book may provide :(

A CARDINAL SIN in my veiw :(

I don`t know, I`ve bought books that a library has taken off the shelves before (many times), I must admit tho, I`ve never considered taking the stamps off though, as I owned it and have the recipts?

Merman, If you`ve Stolen that book I`ll find out where ya live, drag you to the library and make sure you pay your overdue fine on that book! LOL ;)

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring back a dead thread but I’ll give my 2 cents: Household bleach (sodium hypochlorite) breaks down very readily in sunlight, so just leave it out in the sun after the bleach has removed the ink and the bleach will stop bleaching the ink and paper.

Be aware that bleach mostly works for water based inks such as those in fountain pens stamps and some felt tip markers, ink from the average ballpoint is oily and is unaffected by bleach, in which case you’d need to use some non-polar solvent like rubbing alcohol (which seems to remove permanent marker writing too) or one of the solvents listed above.