structure of universe

young-albert

for last two days,i am reading the posts in this forums..but the more i read,the more i get confused....can someone pls tell me about what exactly is the structure of universe?????how was it created and how will it get destroyed??????how did the scientists figured it out????is there any proof of the modern model of universe????what are black holes,worm holes and singularity????pls help me as i am getting severe headache boz of this......:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

for last two days,i am reading the posts in this forums..but the more i read,the more i get confused....can someone pls tell me about what exactly is the structure of universe?????how was it created and how will it get destroyed??????how did the scientists figured it out????is there any proof of the modern model of universe????what are black holes,worm holes and singularity????pls help me as i am getting severe headache boz of this......:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Albert; don't get discouraged or quit trying to understand the questions you asking. for the most part there are no firm answers to begin with and opinions will be in a wide range.

creation of a universe, has to be in Big Bang and those that try to prove it. SSU or what you see, has always been, infers no creation. infinity to a beginning and to and end. scientist are divided and both sides have reasons to believe what they voice.

Black Holes are thought to be from a large stars, final days. some give exotic meanings and to others its simply a part of a process. worm holes have pretty much been given science fiction status.

singularity, is the unit given for bing bangs original unit.

take any issue and google, for any number of opinions. i have some on each but would rather, take on one at a time.

Albert; don't get discouraged or quit trying to understand the questions you asking. for the most part there are no firm answers to begin with and opinions will be in a wide range.

creation of a universe, has to be in Big Bang and those that try to prove it. SSU or what you see, has always been, infers no creation. infinity to a beginning and to and end. scientist are divided and both sides have reasons to believe what they voice.

Black Holes are thought to be from a large stars, final days. some give exotic meanings and to others its simply a part of a process. worm holes have pretty much been given science fiction status.

singularity, is the unit given for bing bangs original unit.

take any issue and google, for any number of opinions. i have some on each but would rather, take on one at a time.

I'd agree with this.

You've asked some very deep questions here. Most of them are still under quite serious discussion and experimentation. I can't remember what the current evidence suggest the shape, which I assume you mean by structure, of the universe is, other than most astrophysicsists currently think it loops.

As for the question of evidence, yes, it's science there is evidence. Most of it is readings of things from telescopes which are then shuved through a set of theories to create answers to the BIG questions...

Don't let this scare you off, astrophysics is a deeply interesting field, even if I'm not that into it...

...?how did the scientists figured it out????is there any proof of the modern model of universe????...

I just checked the Wikipedia articles on Astrophysics, and on Cosmology (the branch of Astronomy or Astrophysics that deals with the structure of the universe), and on Physical Cosmology. None of the articles was especially reliable or well-written. I was disappointed and mildly disgusted. Often Wikipedia does a lot better.

One thing you can do is go to the nearest university, find the astronomy building, go in, find a graduate student who has a few minutes, and ask him or her to explain the

"concordance model"

also known as the "LAMBDA CDM" or "Lambda Cold-Dark-Matter" model.

This is the one that most astronomers have been using since around 1998-2000. It was named "concordance" because before that they had a bunch of contradictory models and a lot of disagreement and they were surprised, at a certain point, to find everybody agreeing on more or less the same picture.

All the data was consistent with LambdaCDM, the cosmologists became jubilant and started saying things like "Cosmology has finally become an OBSERVATIONAL SCIENCE" instead of a mix of purely theoretical science and philosophy.

I am not saying that the prevailing picture is RIGHT. I am saying that an unprecedented amount of agreement has developed among the professionals.

You don't have to take my word for it. Just go to your nearest University and go in the Astro building and find out where the Cosmology grad students hang out.

Don't bother with ordinary Astrophysicists-----most of them are just interested in stars, how stars work, how planet systems form, how many stars have planets, how galaxies condense out of gas, what makes gammaray bursts etc etc. They are not worrying about the overall shape of the universe!

So find cosmologist and ask about LambdaCDM, which is the standard vanilla model of the large-scale structure of the universe.

Also I'd advise staying away from popularizations like Stephen Hawking books and like stuff for mass market consumption. Popular science writing is a major source of confusion. It can be very misleading.

The worst sources would be popularized cosmology books written before year 2000, because there was a revolution in the field around 1998-2000 and everything was revised (that was when Lambda became an important feature in the picture).

To correct a possible confusion from an earlier poster---there is nothing corresponding to "loops" in the standard cosmology model. Spatially, the model is infinite flat, so it does not loop around. Timewise, it expands forever so it doesnt have a cyclic behavior. There is nothing in LambdaCDM that I'd call a loop.

Once you understand the prevailing model, you can look into variations of it.

Like Ned Wright was recently talking about a "best fit" variant of LambdaCDM that is spatially finite. Instead of space extending infinite, space is a bumpy three-sphere------but so large that it might as well be infinite so the math is hardly any different.:)

If someone could positively answer all of those questions, they would be pretty rich and pretty famous.

The only one that can be answered, maybe, is "How did the scientists figured it out?" There is a great documentary on 'Brilliant Minds' airing right now about Galileo, Newton, Einstein, and Hawking. It took a lot more than just them, but they talk alot about how their work was completed.

Believe it or not, the greatest minds worked mostly in their heads, had extreme abilities to focus and see in pictures. They figured out what we do know (think we know) by observing fundamental laws of nature. This can especially be said about Galileo and Newton. Einstein and Hawking probably did/do this in their head.

Black holes are real and are becoming better understood every day, but to explain them would require some theoretical comments.

I don't know man, read what you can and start small. Oh, and don't be afraid to challenge anything.

how did the scientists figured it out???

They all started like you! asking good questions. Then they take small steps, and trying to make sure the steps taken take them in the right direction. So "figuring out" is an process, that btw is still ongoing. Answers leads to new questions, nonone asked before. And our knowledge grows. Curiosity is the mother of knowledge. So why are we curious? The questions never stop coming do they?

is there any proof of the modern model of universe????

Not a "proof" in the sense that you probably mean as in is it right or wrong. But there are various consistency requirements that are seen to encourage the initated journey. If conditions suggested otherwise, we would just change into the suggested direction.

I wouldn't ask "are we there yet", instead ask "are we going in the right direction"?

pls help me as i am getting severe headache boz of this......:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

You are not the only one that has had headache of these things :) You have to start somewhere, pick position that you can rewise in a consistent manner and progress will come.

/Fredrik