Cold Fusion baby

Jacquesl

Um, sorry to rain on the parade re the OP, but cold fusion does actually exist. It's useless for generating power but it exists.

This thread was for the top physics stories of 2005. Which led to this article. It's called "Pyrofusion".

This thread is still in the correct forum though.:)

Gaaah, you`de still get more "bang for your buck" with plain and simple Betavoltaics.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacquesl, you are confused about the different regimes of energy. The "nuclear center" of the periodic table is iron. Lighter nuclei, certainly hydrogen, can be fused, or brought together with sufficient energy to overcome the Coulomb repulsion, and the process liberates energy. When the sun uses up most of its hydrogen, it will change, and further fusions up through carbon will take place, until iron forms. Then there is not further net energy available. On the other end, fission is the splitting of nuclei larger than iron, and see where uranium lies in the periodic table. So one can talk of nuclear fission, or fusion. Separately, one can talk of chemical-level energy based on hydrogen, say if we had massive photovoltaic plants to do the hydrolysis and could run our autos, or home fuel cells. Only in fusion do we need the heavy isotopes. <<I see below that Swansont caught and cleaned up my statement.>>

When the sun uses up most of its hydrogen, it will change, and further fusions up through carbon will take place, until iron forms.

Our sun won't get to this stage. Fusion of heavier nuclei require more massive stars; the sun will stop after forming Carbon and Oxygen.

Thanks, mate, I was feeling clueless there. Are you saying things stay sufficiently hot that there is only a plasma dance? Everything is dissociated above maybe 20ev average energy, which corresponds to two hundred thousand degrees....TIME PASSES....I had to look up the difference between red giant and white dwarf stars. Our sun will run out of hydrogen and turn into a red giant for a spell, fusing helium. The white dwarf stage is described as carbon and oxygen not hot enough to fuse further. Thus the mass will eventually cool. We are, however, in a condensed matter state by gravitational smushing to the point of electron degeneracy. No chemistry here. Tip 'o the hat to Swansont.

Yea if you have a tank/block of the same stuff can you actually extract energy from it, or must you always have an oxidizer by hand and a fuel? But this is only then you make fires

In fusion/fission or in batteries what do you need then?

My main idea is to convert waste to energy, like sand, it’s a solid, SiO2 and it contains oxygen bonded in the formula and some silicon, can that maybe be used?

If there was an easy lunch we would have found it. Can you just separate carbon and oxygen to burn it again? How do you accomplish hydrolysis to obtain pure hydrogen? This has been a rollicking discussion of energy regimes, and you need to learn about the energetics pertaining in chemical combinations like oxidation, and then again a different topic, nuclear energetics. Think about what the sun and plants are conspiring to create.

How do you accomplish hydrolysis to obtain pure hydrogen

I use 2 of them in a separate container and the middle part connected with a wire.

Pure oxygen and Pure Hydrogen if you’re lucky.

RIMG0004.jpg

you need to learn about the energetics pertaining in chemical combinations like oxidation' date=' and then again a different topic, nuclear energetics. Think about what the sun and plants are conspiring to create. [/quote']

Well I’m here, your welcome to help me right

Look at the sun, insane alien wants to go to it and mine some hydrogen, but just to look at the sun, why doesn’t the sun want to chill, some always say look in the nature if you want to built something, well lets build the sun, if we want energy and will probably be called fusion in today’s life, well lets find a easy take top free lunch nuclear “reactor” I don’t think the sun are very complicated, if you look it’s just a dam bright light, but some say, that’s fusion baby, but it doesn’t what to die out, probably because there’s to much nuclear fuel on the sun. Let’s build some stuff man, I’m starving :D

One problem is that things tend to be in or getting close to their lowest energy state, if left to themselves. We find the exceptions, like oil and gas, trapped where oxygen hasn't been able to react much with them, and fission, where you don't get chain reactions without refining the material. Wood burns because it has stored energy from the sun and hasn't been broken down yet. But that big, easy payday probably isn't there, because if it were easy and gave off lots of energy, it would happen spontaneously and we wouldn't have access to it. You need something that has a large activation potential associated with it, which is what you have with fusion.

Hey Jacquesl, I previously asked why it is not obvious to make solar photovoltaic banks to produce hydrogen because you only need a few volts and an electrolyte bath, thinking here about making quantites for burning, maybe autos. I got an interesting answer that the silicon production is tied to semiconductors and the hangup is we cannot do enough of these photo panels. Thirty-five years ago I coauthored a book , on military funding at Stanford and personally visited the Pentagon to collect from the Assistant Director of Defense Research and Engineering, a stack of printouts detailing the ten million dollars in one hundred and ten contracts at Stanford, which most faculty did not want us knowing about. You can read about this if you go to Stanford Alumni Weekly and look up, I think 1996, Dr. Stanton Glantz, "Tilting at Tobacco". I am on about page 5. The point is we demonstrated the money path showing why the domination of the DOD in funding produced technology biased toward military needs. The New York Times took note of our study, as did those who rioted in one laser lab in 1971. There was not much research in solar photovoltaics. We are still approaching 20% capture at only slowly reducing prices. This is by political choice and is a testament to our monumental stupidity. My chairman (Applied Physics), who had been vice-pres of Sandia, for nuclear controls, called me to his office and said, "Albers if I can find a way to put you in jail I will do so." Do not ask the source of my antipathy and need to be on a mountain just like PERELMAN. (THIS MAN, CALVIN QUATE, IS STILL THERE.) I weep at what Perelman did in walking away from the Fields Award in mathematics, saying only, "You do not represent me".

Hey Jacquesl' date=' I previously asked why it is not obvious to make solar photovoltaic banks to produce hydrogen because you only need a few volts and an electrolyte bath, thinking here about making quantites for burning, maybe autos. [/quote']

Yip, If you want to make hydrogen from using solar energy, then your going to need a lot of panels because my plates that I gave you a picture of, that stuff pulls almost 10A @ 12V

And solar cells lack the power output because like you’ve said

http://pesn.com/2006/04/27/9600265_Make_Run_Joe_Cell/

There was not much research in solar photovoltaics. We are still approaching 20% capture at only slowly reducing prices. This is by political choice and is a testament to our monumental stupidity

http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/17774/

As soon as the oil dries up and everyone is running there car on pure water via a High effective electrolyses.

And everyone is making there our fuel less motors then the world hopefully starting to stabilize

Bedini Cole Window Motor

Back EMF Motor

http://peswiki.com/index.php/OS:Modified_Bedini_Cole_Window_Motor

http://www.fight-4-truth.com/Schematics.html

http://www.zpenergy.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2238

http://www.vanguardsciences.biz/ebooks/hvfe.html

http://www.rematinc.com/countdown.html

http://www.nuenergy.org/alt/working_energy_device.htm

I will appreciate it extremely much if someone here knows about this fuel less engines