Optical Emissions Spectrometer

GutZ

I am in my final semester, I am doing project on OES that our school recieved. Basically I have to calibrate it for copper based alloys.

I understand how it works, but since it's a project and deals with optics, I was wondering what fields/subjects involved are there. I hope to go beyond what is required and really bring out the interest aspects of it for my report and presentation, therefore I'd need to get some of the theory down, but I don't know where to start looking besides what wikipedia reccomends.

Well optical spectrums are deeply interesting things, here we've got the majority of 3 research groups work on them. I've just started my second project working on them. The first was a metamaterials project so I doubt this would be much use for you. But my current project is to do with finding magneto-optical spectrums using the magnetic kerr effect.

Modelling of spectrums and the theories behind it are notoriousely difficult, my current project has no modelling due to the crazy complicities and that it'd probably take us much more time than we have just to come up with a reasonable model. But the last project used two differnt modelling techniques the first was a rigorous coupled-wave method, which basically solves maxwell's equations throughout the setup, and the second was a finite element method. Neither really touches on the true theory.

To really understand the underlying physics to spectrums from materials you need a good understanding of quantum mechanics, specifically electron transitions....

To really understand the underlying physics to spectrums from materials you need a good understanding of quantum mechanics, specifically electron transitions....

Thank you! My Professor gave me this project probably because I read alot of articles on quantum physics in class. I never knew it involved physics until I heard the "Optical Emissions" bit, it's always referred as spectrograph, or spectrometer, so I am thrilled I got this project.

I am in my final semester, I am doing project on OES that our school recieved. Basically I have to calibrate it for copper based alloys.

I understand how it works, but since it's a project and deals with optics, I was wondering what fields/subjects involved are there. I hope to go beyond what is required and really bring out the interest aspects of it for my report and presentation, therefore I'd need to get some of the theory down, but I don't know where to start looking besides what wikipedia reccomends.

JAN.25.2007

In spectroscopy you get :

1)Absorption Spectroscopy

2)Emmission Spectroscopy

In Absorption Spectroscopy,a light is sent thru a MONOCHROMETER,which produces the spectral color photons ,then a filter selects one color wave length,you select .This beam of monochromatic wavelength is now ready to perform the experiment.

Now the system you are studying(molecular ,Atomic,or reaction media)have the Quantum Energy states,which in atoms are electronic energy levels,in molecules the active site is CHROMOPHORE.

If you shine a U.V.,or Visible wavwe length selected from chromator out put beam,on say metal copper surface,that operation will produce a emmission of energy at different wave length than absorbing or reflecting wave length.

You figure out from

E = mc2,and E= nhv, and hv = c/lamda(the wave length)

which energy levels are absorbing which wave length or frequency and which frequency will be emmitted.

The experiment involves a light source(a tungstun lamp,or hydrogen lamp,or some other light sources),then light is focussed onto the slit ,passes thru grating,which produces like spectrum of prism,the dispersion of all rainbow colors,when the beam with these color is out ,you insert a color filter(visible or U.V. or I.R.)and get the wave length you desire based on which energy level you want to study,if it is copper,seach Atomic energy levels of Cu.

I think this lets you start search for key words in this to make your project.

Dr.Syed Ameen (Ph.D.)

http://www.myspace.com/syedameen