How does starch digestion compare among crackers?

johhny8

I have to design my own lab. How can I determine how long it takes for Amylase to digest starch in a sample of a cracker? If I test the sample for starch with iodine, will the black-purple color turn to another color once the Amylase digests the starch? Thanks.

I guess. We performed this lab once in which we hydrolyzed starch into its components. The iodine became paler, from black-purple to red, then to orange. Well, starch turned into dextrins, and then to maltose.

I have to design my own lab. How can I determine how long it takes for Amylase to digest starch in a sample of a cracker? If I test the sample for starch with iodine, will the black-purple color turn to another color once the Amylase digests the starch? Thanks.

Yes this will work. Just remember to make serial dilutions of your test samples and not over digest, else you might not be able to tell the difference between the samples.

Plus you should grind the crackers really really really well.